Subject: [Tsvwg] Non-renegable Selective Acks (NR-SACKs) for SCTP

From: Preethi Natarajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 13:13:29 -0400

Hello all,

draft-natarajan-tsvwg-sctp-nrsack, proposes a fundamentally new ack 
mechanism for SCTP called Non-renegable Selective Acks (NR-SACKs).

In SCTP (and TCP), selectively acked out-of-order data is implicitly 
renegable; i.e, the receiver can later discard SACKed data. SCTP 
multistreaming and unordered data delivery services are examples where 
out-of-order data can be delivered to the application, and hence become 
non-renegable.

Simulation evaluations comparing SCTP transfers using SACKs vs. NR-SACKs 
show that SACKs cause memory wastage and throughput reduction under 
certain conditions (www.cis.udel.edu/~nataraja/papers/nr-sack-TR.pdf.)

The proposed draft can be found at: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-natarajan-tsvwg-sctp-nrsack/

Your comments/suggestions on the NR-SACK proposal are most welcome.

Thanks,

-- 
Preethi