Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] [secdir] [OSPF] [sidr] [RPSEC] Authentication for OSPFv3

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:08:12 -0400

At 11:08 AM -0400 9/30/08, Acee Lindem wrote:
>One thing to take into consideration is that the outcome of our KMART 
>BOF was that nobody deploying networks wanted routing infra-structure
>based on a third-part verified certificates.
>Thanks,
>Acee

Acee,

The wording you used here "third-part[y] verified certificates" is 
ambiguous. A cert is validated (or verified) by a relying party, so 
third-party verification could imply having some entity verify  a 
cert on behalf of a relying party, e.g,  what SCVP permits. If, on 
the other hand, you were referring to cert issuance (not 
verification), then it is commonly the case that the cert issuer 
(certification authority) in a PKI is a "third party" in that it is 
not a participant in a communication between two relying parties.  In 
either case, I don't recall hearing specific comments of the form you 
mention.

Steve