Subject: [Tsvwg] draft-natarajan-httpbis-sctp-00

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:02:22 -0600

One of the open issues listed during the presentation of this draft
today was "How does a web client choose between SCTP vs. TCP?"

Using SRV records was suggested, but my suggestion would be to use
S-NAPTR instead (RFC 3958).  An HTTP server supporting SCTP would need
to also support TCP.  The NAPTR RR would be configured to give priority
to the SCTP transport, something like this:

www.example.com.
IN NAPTR 100 10 "A" "HTTP:sctp" "" _sctp._http.www.example.com.
IN NAPTR 200 10 "A" "HTTP:tcp" "" _tcp._http.www.example.com.

_sctp._http.www.example.com.
IN SRV   0   0  80 a.example.com.

_tcp._http.www.example.com.
IN SRV   0   0  80 a.example.com.

a.example.com.
IN A     192.0.2.1

A client supporting HTTP over SCTP would implement the S-NAPTR
algorithm, and fails over to TCP if no NAPTR RR is found.  If the SCTP
connection fails (because of a NAT problem), the connection would also
fails over to TCP.

-- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: [email-masked]
Work: [email-masked]