Subject: [Tsvwg] BCP 145, RFC 5405 on Unicast UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:09:44 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 145        
        RFC 5405

        Title:      Unicast UDP Usage Guidelines for 
                    Application Designers 
        Author:     L. Eggert, G. Fairhurst
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       November 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      27
        Characters: 69607
        See Also:   BCP0145

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-udp-guidelines-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5405.txt

The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.
Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
Internet, applications and upper-layer protocols that choose to use
UDP as an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent
congestion collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with
concurrent traffic.  This document provides guidelines on the use of
UDP for the designers of unicast applications and upper-layer
protocols.  Congestion control guidelines are a primary focus, but
the document also provides guidance on other topics, including
message sizes, reliability, checksums, and middlebox traversal.  This 
document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute