Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Port Randomization
	Author(s)	: M. Larsen, F. Gont
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-03.txt
	Pages		: 31
	Date		: 2009-3-11
	
Recently, awareness has been raised about a number of "blind" attacks
   that can be performed against the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
   and similar protocols.  The consequences of these attacks range from
   throughput-reduction to broken connections or data corruption.  These
   attacks rely on the attacker's ability to guess or know the five-
   tuple (Protocol, Source Address, Destination Address, Source Port,
   Destination Port) that identifies the transport protocol instance to
   be attacked.  This document describes a number of simple and
   efficient methods for the selection of the client port number, such
   that the possibility of an attacker guessing the exact value is
   reduced.  While this is not a replacement for cryptographic methods
   for protecting the connection, the described port number obfuscation
   algorithms provide improved security/obfuscation with very little
   effort and without any key management overhead.  The algorithms
   described in this document are local policies that may be
   incrementally deployed, and that do not violate the specifications of
   any of the transport protocols that may benefit from them, such as
   TCP, UDP, UDP-lite, SCTP, DCCP, and RTP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.