Subject: [Tsvwg] Major rev to draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-02

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:11:52 +0000

TSVWG, PCN-WG,

I've just done a major rev to
Tunnelling of Explicit Congestion Notification
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-02.txt>

It's nearly a complete re-write. I got a detailed review (off list) 
which told me it had become one of those drafts that has bloated with more revs

It's definitely ready for detailed review now.

It's now cut to the bone: just the standards terminology in the body, 
with all the original motivation / analysis / justification pushed 
into appendices or deleted. It should be a lot clearer now. I've also 
reduced the scope to just IP in IP, taking out all the stuff on other 
L2 encapsulations.

Details of main changes are itemised within. The main tech changes 
are to make soem tentative changes to decapsulation normative 
(previously they were in an informative appendix). These make sure 
tunnels don't stop the ECN field being used for multi-level 
congestion notification (e.g. for PCN). I've checked that there are 
absolutely no backwards compatibility issues.

I had hoped to get this done by the I-D deadline, but I flunked...

Bob

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,               Networks Research Centre, BT Research