Subject: [Tsvwg] AD evaluation comments on draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-l3vpn-01

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:18:28 +0200

Hi,

I have done my AD review of "Support for RSVP in Layer 3 VPNs" and have
some comments.

1. Section 1: "We note that similar techniques may be applicable to
   other protocols used for admission control such as NSIS [RFC4080]."

Should this reference be to the QoS NSLP (draft-ietf-nsis-qos-nslp)?

2. Section 3.1, second paragraph: "However, MPLS VPN PE routers
(especially those separated by Option-B ASBRs)"

Use of ASBR without reference or expansion.

3. Section 5.1, first paragraph: There is talk about "CAC". This
abbreviation is not expanded. Also, it is really approproate, why not
use admission control simply?

4. Section 8.1: "The VPN-
   IPv4 address in this object is built by combining the IPv4 address
   from the incoming SESSION with the RD in the BGP advertisement from
   the egress PE for this prefix and customer."

How is this combining done? Please provide either a reference or a
normative description of how the combining is to happen and in which
order. This definition issue reoccurs also in Section 8.2, 8.6 and 8.7.

5. Section 8.1:
"The protocol ID, flags, and DstPort are identical to the IPv4 and
   IPv6 SESSION objects."

Please provide a reference to that object.

6. Section 8.5: "The flags and DSCP are identical to the AGGREGATE-IPv4
and AGGREGATE-IPv6 SESSION objects."

Reference to where these objects are defined.

7. Section 8.5: "   The flags, PHB-ID, vDstPort and Extended vDstPort
are identical to
   the GENERIC-AGGREGATE-IPv4 and GENERIC-AGGREGATE-IPv6 SESSION
   objects."

Reference to their definition.

8. Section 10: What is the required to implement security functions for
this RSVP extension?

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------