Subject: [Tsvwg] Review of draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-security-groupkeying-04

From: Brian Weis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:49:36 -0700

Hi Francois & Michael,

I have reviewed this document and have only one comment. Section 2  
discussed "implicit" and "explicit" trust. Generally, I agree with it  
except for the following sentence:

"Note that in any group keying scheme like GDOI a node trusts  
explicitly as well as implicitly all the other members of the group."

I don't see where the fact that multiple parties hold the same key to  
make the trust explicit. For example, when manual keying is used the  
node doesn't really have any idea how many other nodes share that key  
(i.e., whether it is a pairwise or group key). It simply sends and  
receives RSVP messages and explicitly trusts the next RSVP node to  
handle the message to do the right thing, regardless of whether its  
identity is known or unknown. Non-neighbors are always trusted  
implicitly whether or not they happen to share a key.

Were you thinking of some other attribute of group keying that makes  
the trust explicit?

Thanks,
Brian

-- 
Brian Weis
Router/Switch Security Group, ARTG, Cisco Systems
Telephone: +1 408 526 4796
Email: [email-masked]