Subject: [Tsvwg] Suggestion for Transport Area Working Group (tsvwg)

From: "tim robertson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:34:26 -0500

Hi, I have a suggestion for the Transport Area Working Group (tsvwg). You
should make TCP censorship free. By that I mean isp's shouldn't be able
to block websites by using blacklists, url blocking, ip address block,
dns, keyword block etc. For example, in China, some perfectly legal
websites like wikipedia are blocked, so that is why TCP should be changed
so isp's cannot block websites. So you may have to work with operating
system makers and router makers to update their software, but it should
be backwards compatible too. Can you pass on my suggestion?Thanks

-- 
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses
Get a Free Account at www.mail.com

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:28:05 -0500

Tim

I believe this WG isn't the right place to discuss TCP anymore. We 
split off the TCP aspects of our WG into a new WG a couple of years 
ago, called TCPM (TCP Maintenance). Here is their charter page:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/tcpm-charter.html

That said, and the TCPM WG chairs can correct me, but I think what 
you're really getting at is a policy issue, not a protocol issue. 
Therefore, perhaps this idea of yours ought to be taken to the 
TSVAREA WG, for a more generalized - yet still Transport specific - 
discussion. Here is how to subscribe to that WG:
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsv-area
here is the mailing list archive:
http://www.ietf.org/pipermail/tsv-area/

If that is not the right venue, you might want to address the IETF 
audience in whole, by either sending this message to the IETF.ORG 
mailing list (for all the IETF to see -- subscribe by sending a 
"subscribe" in the message body - directed at <[email-masked]>), or 
speak at the microphone during one of the open plenaries during an 
IETF conference. The next conference is in Stockholm in July, 
followed by Hiroshima in November, followed by Anaheim in March 2010.

James
TSVWG WG chair

At 12:34 AM 5/28/2009, tim robertson wrote:
>Hi, I have a suggestion for the Transport Area Working Group 
>(tsvwg). You should make TCP censorship free. By that I mean isp's 
>shouldn't be able to block websites by using blacklists, url 
>blocking, ip address block, dns, keyword block etc. For example, in 
>China, some perfectly legal websites like wikipedia are blocked, so 
>that is why TCP should be changed so isp's cannot block websites. So 
>you may have to work with operating system makers and router makers 
>to update their software, but it should be backwards compatible too.
>
>Can you pass on my suggestion?
>Thanks
>
>--
>Be Yourself @ mail.com!
>Get a Free Account at <http://www.mail.com/Product.aspx>www.mail.com!