Subject: [tsvwg] New Draft: draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-6man-udpzero-00 (Zero Checksum for IPv6)

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:58:02 +0100

We've written a draft to discuss the topic I touched on briefly in the 
last tsvwg meeting. That is, whether we should update UDP for IPv6 to 
allow a mode that permits senders to zero the checksum field.

We'd love to have feedback on this topic - on the assessment, the 
issues, the conclusions, etc. We plan to also ask for IPv6 comments from 
6man (who officially maintain the STD that defines UDP for IPv6).

Best wishes,

Gorry & Magnus
(currently wearing no "hats" for this email)

---

Filename:	 draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-6man-udpzero
Revision:	 00
Title:		 The IPv6 UDP Checksum Considerations
Creation_date:	 2009-10-01
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 20

Abstract:
This document examines the role of the transport checksum when used
with IPv6, as defined in RFC2460.  It presents a summary of the
trade-offs for evaluating the safety of updating RFC 2460 to permit
an IPv6 UDP endpoint to use a zero value in the checksum field to
indicate that no checksum is present.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/draft-fairhurst-tsvwg-6man-udpzero/