Subject: [tsvwg] Doubt in SCTP Restart behaviour

From: nagesh shamnur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:20:28 +0530

Hi Group,
     I have a doubt regarding the SCTP stack behaviour in restart case. When
SCTP stack initiates the INIT chunk because it restarted what should be the
Initiate-tag, i am asking the obvious question, since the section 5.2.4.1 it
explains the same with an example that, when SCTP stack initiates the INIT
chunk because it restarted, it should generate and send a new INIT-TAG in
the INIT chunk, but some the popular implementations by some companies
differ.
    They send the original local tag that was associated with that
association before it restarted.

    The behaviour is violating the RFC or am i missing something here.

Thanks and Regards,
Nagesh.

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:13:28 +0100

On Dec 2, 2009, at 5:50 PM, nagesh shamnur wrote:

> Hi Group,
>      I have a doubt regarding the SCTP stack behaviour in restart case. When SCTP stack initiates the INIT chunk because it restarted what should be the Initiate-tag, i am asking the obvious question, since the section 5.2.4.1 it explains the same with an example that, when SCTP stack initiates the INIT chunk because it restarted, it should generate and send a new INIT-TAG in the INIT chunk, but some the popular implementations by some companies differ.
>     They send the original local tag that was associated with that association before it restarted.
Are you sure you are not seeing INIT retransmissions?
In case of a restart, how can you remember the old initiate-tag. It should be randomly selected.

Best regards
Michale