Subject: [tsvwg] New version of document for review

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:16:01 -0800

Attn: TSVWG Working Group, DNSOPS Working Group and APPS AREA Working Group

There is a new version of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management
of the Transport Protocol Port Number and Service Name Registry document:

draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-04.txt

Please review and send comments.  Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton
(on behalf of the ports teams)

---

From: "tom.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:28:27 +0100

Michele

You said that feedback would be appreciated:-)

I have a problem with this I-D in that it would appear to make no
distinction between allocation and assignment, and would seem to
include registration in the mix as well, at least at times, while hinting that
whatever these may be, ownership is something else.  In the limited context of
transport
identifiers, this may not cause confusion but in closely allied registries,
allocation and assignment are fundamentally different processes and those who
interchange the two are confused and cause confusion.

If, as I suspect, you are using the terms interchangeably, then at the very
least you need a terminology section as 1.1 to say that the two (or three) terms
are used interchangeably, but for myself, I would regard this as inadequate.
Really, you should choose one and eliminate the other(s) with a brief note to
say that
historically, both were used but as of now, a........ is the correct term.

More fundamentally, this I-D is largely about a bureaucratic process without
stating clearly, IMO, what the point of this process is, except to generate
bureaucracy (and confusion over this would appear to have triggered some
discussion recently on the tsvwg list).  The I-D should state up front, not hint
at it in section 7, just why this bureaucracy should exist, of what benefit it
would be bureaucracy is to the IETF etc.  The I-D argues for improving the
bureacracy, not for why it should exist.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michelle Cotton" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 5:16 PM
Subject: [tsvwg] New version of document for review

There is a new version of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
Procedures for the Management
of the Transport Protocol Port Number and Service Name Registry document:

Thank you,

Michelle Cotton

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:09:49 -0800

> bureacracy, not for why it should exist.

FWIW, I thought the doc was already clear that the bureaucracy *already*
exists, and this is an update to the existing procedures.

The alternative is to continue to say "IANA figures it out" - which is
basically how things work now, AFAICT. That's fine with me too.

Joe