Subject: 4960 editorial comments

From: Jeff Morriss <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:31:59 -0400

Hi list,

I recently read RFC 4960 more-or-less cover to cover and found a few 
editorial issues.  I mention them in case you'd like to note them 
somewhere.  Some of these are quite trivial, others are less so.

1) section 1.6, fourth paragraph: "2*32" should be "2**32" (this is the 
2nd of the two references to this calculation in this paragraph)

2) section 3.2.2: the Variable Parameters table appears to be missing 
every other newline.  The table is very hard to read because of this.

3) section 3.3.10.9, first paragraph: there's an extra newline in the 
middle of the paragraph

4) This may be more of a technical comment, but: section 3.3.11 (COOKIE 
ECHO) has a sentence that says that the cookie should be as small as 
possible.  (This sentence is also present in 5.1.3 (Generating State 
Cookie)).  It seems to me that this sentence should not be in 3.3.11 
since the sender of the COOKIE ECHO has no control over the size of the 
cookie.  Wouldn't 3.3.3 (INIT ACK) be a more logical place?

5) Section 6.1, item A): the entire contents of the 5th paragraph is 
also present in the first paragraph (i.e., it is duplicated).

6) Section 6.7, Figure 9: at the start of the figure, it appears there 
should be another newline or two to make things readable.  (As it is, 
the "(ack delayed)" note is present under Endpoint A but it is Endpoint 
B that delays the ack.)  Maybe a newline after "strm 0}" would be enough?

7) Section 6.10, first paragraph: there's an extra newline in the middle 
of the paragraph.

8) In section 10.1 "Receive Unacknowledged Message" should be item 
number “O)” but it doesn’t have an item number (letter) but instead has 
just a bullet.

9) Appendix C, case ICMP2: there are two commas after "Parameter Problem"

10) Appendix C: the 2nd paragraph after the ICMP cases "suddenly" starts 
into the CRC sample code.  I say "suddenly" because there's no section 
title or any kind of demarcation indicating the change in subject. 
Shouldn't this sample code by in Appendix B anyway?

As I said, I pass these comments on only because I noted them down as I 
read the document; feel free to do what you please with them.

Regards,
-Jeff