Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 02:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Transport Protocol Port Randomization Recommendations
	Author(s)       : M. Larsen, F. Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-07.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2010-04-12

During the las few years, awareness has been raised about a number of
"blind" attacks that can be performed against the Transmission
Control Protocol (TCP) and similar protocols.  The consequences of
these attacks range from throughput-reduction to broken connections
or data corruption.  These attacks rely on the attacker's ability to
guess or know the five-tuple (Protocol, Source Address, Destination
Address, Source Port, Destination Port) that identifies the transport
protocol instance to be attacked.  This document describes a number
of simple and efficient methods for the selection of the client port
number, such that the possibility of an attacker guessing the exact
value is reduced.  While this is not a replacement for cryptographic
methods for protecting the transport-protocol instance, the described
port number obfuscation algorithms provide improved security/
obfuscation with very little effort and without any key management
overhead.  The algorithms described in this document are local
policies that may be incrementally deployed, and that do not violate
the specifications of any of the transport protocols that may benefit
from them, such as TCP, UDP, UDP-lite, SCTP, DCCP, and RTP (provided
the RTP application explicitly signals the RTP and RTCP port
numbers).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-randomization-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.