Subject: Query regarding Primary destination IP in case of SCTP

From: Padmalochan Moharana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:28:40 +0530

Hi All,

I have a query regarding the primary destination IP after peer restarted the
association in case of SCTP.

For example during initialization of association the primary IP of peer was
23.1.1.37 and the secondary IP was 23.1.1.38. Suppose after some time peer
primary IP goes down and peer restarted the association by sending INIT with
23.1.1.38 as the primary IP and 23.1.1.37 as secondary IP.

So after re-initialization of association, which IP should be used as the
prmary IP by application. Should my application used 23.1.1.38 as primary IP
and send next DATA to that IP. Or it should retransmit the DATA to 23.1.1.37
and after maximum retransmission of data application mark that destination
as down and try to send data to 23.1.1.38.

Br,
Padmalochan

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 20:40:18 +0200

On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:58 PM, Padmalochan Moharana wrote:

> Hi All,
> 
> I have a query regarding the primary destination IP after peer restarted the association in case of SCTP.
> 
> For example during initialization of association the primary IP of peer was 23.1.1.37 and the secondary IP was 23.1.1.38. Suppose after some time peer primary IP goes down and peer restarted the association by sending INIT with 23.1.1.38 as the primary IP and 23.1.1.37 as secondary IP. 
Hi Padmalochan,

there is no notion of sending an INIT with addr as the primary.
An endpoint chooses one the the addresses of the peer as the primary
address. After a restart this might be a different address.

Best regards
Michael
> 
> So after re-initialization of association, which IP should be used as the prmary IP by application. Should my application used 23.1.1.38 as primary IP and send next DATA to that IP. Or it should retransmit the DATA to 23.1.1.37 and after maximum retransmission of data application mark that destination as down and try to send data to 23.1.1.38. 
> 
> Br,
> Padmalochan