Subject: [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC3168 (2307)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 07:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC3168,
"The Addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=3168&eid=2307

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>

Section: 6.1

Original Text
-------------
   This proposal specifies two new flags in the Reserved field of the
   TCP header.  The TCP mechanism for negotiating ECN-Capability uses
   the ECN-Echo (ECE) flag in the TCP header.  Bit 9 in the Reserved
   field of the TCP header is designated as the ECN-Echo flag.  The
   location of the 6-bit Reserved field in the TCP header is shown in
   Figure 4 of RFC 793 [RFC793] (and is reproduced below for
   completeness).  This specification of the ECN Field leaves the
   Reserved field as a 4-bit field using bits 4-7.

Corrected Text
--------------
   This proposal specifies two new flags in the Reserved field of the
   TCP header.  The TCP mechanism for negotiating ECN-Capability uses
   the ECN-Echo (ECE) flag in the TCP header.  Bit 9 in the Reserved
   field of the TCP header is designated as the ECN-Echo flag.  The
   location of the 6-bit Reserved field in the TCP header is shown in
   Figure 3 of RFC 793 [RFC793] (and is reproduced below for
   completeness).  This specification of the ECN Field leaves the
   Reserved field as a 4-bit field using bits 4-7.

Notes
-----
Incorrect reference to Figure 4 of RFC 793

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC3168 (draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The Addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP
Publication Date    : September 2001
Author(s)           : K. Ramakrishnan, S. Floyd, D. Black
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Area Working Group
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:36:07 -0700

This errata report (changing a reference to "Figure 4" to a reference to "Figure 3") is good,
and should be verified.

Many thanks,
- Sally