Subject: Query regarding stale cookie error handling

From: Nagesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:33:44 +0530

Hi Group,

            Greetings. I have a query in RFC 4960, Section 5.2.6, "handling
stale cookie error", alternative 1) & 3), mentions about re-attempting to
establish the association by send INIT,  here my question is, what should be
the number of times, client should attempt to re-establish the association,
if the peer is always giving stale cookie error, I believe it should be
limited by ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS, RFC does not explicitly mentions anything
about it.

Thanks and Regards,

Nagesh.

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:35:06 +0200

On Aug 24, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Nagesh wrote:

> Hi Group,
>             Greetings. I have a query in RFC 4960, Section 5.2.6, “handling stale cookie error”, alternative 1) & 3), mentions about re-attempting to establish the association by send INIT,  here my question is, what should be the number of times, client should attempt to re-establish the association, if the peer is always giving stale cookie error, I believe it should be limited by ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS, RFC does not explicitly mentions anything about it.
Hi Nagesh,

I agree, you should not do this forever. You can limit it by ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS or some
other value. Please note that there is another "don't do it forever' situation: If you
retransmit a DATA chunk over and over and ongoing HEARTBEATs clear the error counter to
never reach ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS. In FreeBSD we use the concept of an unlucky chunk. A
chunk can only be retransmitted a specific number of times. If that number is reached,
the association is ABORTed.

Best regards
Michael

---

From: Nagesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:07:52 +0530

Hi Michael,
	Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Nagesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Tüxen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:05 PM
To: Nagesh
Cc: [email-masked]; 'prasad'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Query regarding stale cookie error handling

On Aug 24, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Nagesh wrote:

> Hi Group,
>             Greetings. I have a query in RFC 4960, Section 5.2.6,
“handling stale cookie error”, alternative 1) & 3), mentions about
re-attempting to establish the association by send INIT,  here my question
is, what should be the number of times, client should attempt to
re-establish the association, if the peer is always giving stale cookie
error, I believe it should be limited by ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS, RFC does not
explicitly mentions anything about it.
Hi Nagesh,

I agree, you should not do this forever. You can limit it by
ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS or some
other value. Please note that there is another "don't do it forever'
situation: If you
retransmit a DATA chunk over and over and ongoing HEARTBEATs clear the error
counter to
never reach ASSOC.MAX.RETRANS. In FreeBSD we use the concept of an unlucky
chunk. A
chunk can only be retransmitted a specific number of times. If that number
is reached,
the association is ABORTed.

Best regards
Michael