Subject: RFC 5945 on Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Proxy Approaches

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:09:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5945

        Title:      Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) Proxy 
                    Approaches 
        Author:     F. Le Faucheur, J. Manner,
                    D. Wing, A. Guillou
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      50
        Characters: 118234
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-rsvp-proxy-approaches-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5945.txt

The Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) can be used to make end-to-
end resource reservations in an IP network in order to guarantee the
quality of service required by certain flows.  RSVP assumes that both
the data sender and receiver of a given flow take part in RSVP
signaling.  Yet, there are use cases where resource reservation is
required, but the receiver, the sender, or both, is not RSVP-capable.
This document presents RSVP proxy behaviors allowing RSVP routers to
initiate or terminate RSVP signaling on behalf of a receiver or a
sender that is not RSVP-capable.  This allows resource reservations
to be established on a critical subset of the end-to-end path.  This
document reviews conceptual approaches for deploying RSVP proxies and
discusses how RSVP reservations can be synchronized with application
requirements, despite the sender, receiver, or both not participating
in RSVP.  This document also points out where extensions to RSVP (or
to other protocols) may be needed for deployment of a given RSVP
proxy approach.  However, such extensions are outside the scope of
this document.  Finally, practical use cases for RSVP proxy are
described.  This document is not an Internet Standards Track 
specification; it is published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC