Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 02:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) Procedures for the Management of the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number Registry
	Author(s)       : M. Cotton, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-07.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2010-10-12

This document defines the procedures that the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority (IANA) uses when handling registration and other
requests related to the Service Name and Transport Protocol Port
Number Registry.  It also discusses the rationale and principles
behind these procedures and how they facilitate the long-term
sustainability of the registry.

This document updates IANA's procedures by obsoleting Sections 8 and
9.1 of the IANA allocation guidelines [RFC2780], and it updates the
IANA allocation procedures for UDP-Lite [RFC3828], DCCP [RFC4340] and
SCTP [RFC4960].  It also updates the DNS SRV specification [RFC2782]
to clarify what a service name is and how it is registered.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:50:38 +0200

Hi,

The diff between this version and previous one is here:

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-07

This version contains a lot of polishing, alignment and a bit of
restructuring. We would very much appreciate any feedback on the changes.

I do note that we have not included indication of which are the primary
service name for other services that has aliasing than for
http/www/www-http. If more cases should be included in the IANA
considerations please let us know.

Personally I have reviewed the critique in
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-01.txt and I
don't see any real issues.

1. We have inverted the registry name to be: Service Name and Transport
Protocol Port Number Registry

2. For me personally I don't see an issue with giving different service
names to an application that uses different substrates. I think the
following paragraph from section 5 of this document is the one applicable:

   For future assignments, applications will not be permitted that
   merely request a new name exactly duplicating an existing service.
   Having multiple names for the same service serves no purpose.
   Implementers are requested to inform IANA if they discover other
   cases where a single service has multiple names, so that one name may
   be recorded as the primary name for service discovery purposes.

But as different substrates aren't exactly the same service I don't see
an issue.

3. Unfortunately it seems like we still have a broken ABNF. I have
suggested a fix:

   SRVNAME = (ALPHA / (*(*DIGIT [HYPHEN]) ALPHA)) *([HYPHEN] ALNUM)
   ALNUM   = ALPHA / DIGIT     ; A-Z, a-z, 0-9
   HYPHEN  = %x2d              ; "-"
   ALPHA   = %x41-5A / %x61-7A ; A-Z / a-z [RFC5234]
   DIGIT   = %x30-39           ; 0-9       [RFC5234]

4. When it comes to the length of service names, I fully agree that from
a DNS perspective longer service names wouldn't be an issue, but for
using them in transport protocol near usages it would be an issue. As we
are going for unification of the name space to avoid collisions the 15
character limit is needed.

We likely submit an update in the next few days to take care of the ABNF
issue. If you have any more nit please tell us immediately.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:52:56 +0200

> issue. If you have any more nit please tell us immediately.

So far, no other feedback. We'll submit a version with the fix before the cutoff.

Lars