Subject: New Version Notification for draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-02 (fwd)

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:31:51 +0200 (MESZ)

Folks,
Apologies for cross-posting,
but DNS-based service discovery is such a pervasive subject...

We have uploaded a new version of our DNS SRV clarifications draft
that, according to an agreement at IETF 76, is planned for coordinated
publication with the document that lays the foundation for the upcoming
unified IANA "Service Name and Transport Protocol Port Number" Registry,
and with another Informational document (still in progress) that will
describe cleanup operations for related IANA registries that have
become outdated (or will do so due to this major streamlining), and
that will give recommendations for how to update use cases of DNS SRV
specified in RFCs (or currently being discussed in the IETF) that
do not conform to the emerging new rules (and arguably never did
so with the previous rules).

The new version addresses comments by giving even more background
information and providing additional clarifications, and it has
been brought in close alignment with the recent updates to the
registry document per draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-ports-07.
Beyond that, the revised draft contains numerous editorial improvements.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

----- Forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----

> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:41:22 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: New Version Notification for draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-02

A new version of I-D, draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alfred Hoenes and posted
to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-gudmundsson-dnsext-srv-clarify
Revision:        02
Title:           DNS SRV Usage Guidelines and Owner Name Recommendations
Creation_date:   2010-10-22
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 20

Abstract:
The DNS SRV record has been specified in RFC 2052 and RFC 2782 for
use in dynamic service discovery for a domain.  These two RFCs did
not clearly specify an IANA registry for the names of the services
and their underlying protocols.  This document clarifies RFC 2782
regarding the formation and use of the Service Prefix in the owner
name of SRV records, based on the unified IANA "Service Name and
Transport Protocol Port Number" registry and provides a few other
corrections, clarifications, and usage recommendations.

The IETF Secretariat.

----- End of forwarded message from IETF I-D Submission Tool -----