Subject: Re: Deprecating ICMP Source Quench messages

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:04:17 -0300

Hi, Fred,

>> At the tsvwg wg meeting @ Beijing I presented the I-D 
>> draft-gont-tsvwg-source-quench-00, which aims at deprecating ICMP
>> Source Quench messages.
> 
> You may be interested to scan RFC 1812 for comments on Source Quench.
> While RFCs 1122/1123 require a host to do something intelligent with
> them should they arrive, routers are not supposed to send them.

Exactly. -- that's part of the motivation for this document, indeed: you
should not be receiving legitimate ICMP SQs, anyway!

> DISCUSSION Research seems to suggest that Source Quench consumes
> network bandwidth but is an ineffective (and unfair) antidote to 
> congestion.  See, for example, [INTERNET:9] and [INTERNET:10]. 
> Section [5.3.6] discusses the current thinking on how routers ought
> to deal with overload and network congestion.
> 
> A router MAY ignore any ICMP Source Quench messages it receives.

Ok. So it looks like this "MAY" should be updated to a "SHOULD NOT",
such that it's in the same line as the requirements for hosts in
draft-gont-tsvwg-source-quench-00.

Thoughts?

> INTERNET:11. Prue, W., and J. Postel, "The Source Quench Introduced
> Delay (SQuID)", RFC 1016, USC/Information Sciences Institute, August 
> 1987.

Should we take the chance to move this one to Historic?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1