Subject: An improvement for draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf-02

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:27:58 +0200

Yesterday afternoon I had a talk with Diego López, and he told me a question
that I had not considered in the current version of the draft. The question
is:

Can different protocols can be included into the same tunnel? E.g. Can I put
RTP/UDP/IP packets and UDP/IP packets in the same tunnel?

This could be very useful in some scenarios:

-          A carrier using a faster network for delivering real-time
packets, could use this network for VoIP and also for gaming traffic.

-          Sometimes, gamers use to talk via VoIP while playing. The cause
for this is that some games are played in two teams. So the packets of the
game and VoIP could share the tunnel.

After thinking about it, I think there would be no problems for that: ROHC
is able to compress both traffic, so the only thing is that the kind of
protocol compressed has to be stored in the context, in addition to the
fields that are the same for every packet. Every compressed packet included
in the tunnel has a “context identifier”, which associates it with one of
the stored contexts. So, once we have read the identifier, we can also know
which protocols have been compressed.

So this could be considered in the implementation, and I think it would not
represent a problem. It could even be possible if one flow is compressed
with ROHC, other with ECRTP, and other is not compressed at all.

Any thoughts about it?

Regards,

Jose

---

From: DIEGO LOPEZ GARCIA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:42:30 +0200

Hi,

On 28 Mar 2012, at 09:27 , Jose Saldana wrote:

> Yesterday afternoon I had a talk with Diego López, and he told me a question that I had not considered in the current version of the draft. The question is:
>
> Can different protocols can be included into the same tunnel? E.g. Can I put RTP/UDP/IP packets and UDP/IP packets in the same tunnel?

Just because of Jose's allusion I'd like to express our interest, as network
operators, in approaches like this. It is not only about gaming applications
(as relevant as they are to provide a satisfactory service to many users), but
about many other real-time multiperson interactions: simulation,
telediagnostics, e-science that I'm sure will become pervasive in the near
future.

Understanding traffic patterns and seeking for the optimization of network
usage by these applications are a key issue and definitely worth of
IETF's consideration.

Be goode,

--
"Esta vez no fallaremos, Doctor Infierno"

Dr Diego R. Lopez
Telefonica I+D
http://people.tid.es/diego.lopez/

e-mail: [email-masked]
Tel:    +34 913 129 041
Mobile: +34 682 051 091
-----------------------------------------

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. Puede consultar nuestra política de envío y recepción de correo electrónico en el enlace situado más abajo.
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at
http://www.tid.es/ES/PAGINAS/disclaimer.aspx