Subject: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-09.txt> (Byte and Packet Congestion Notification) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:21:38 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document:
- 'Byte and Packet Congestion Notification'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-09.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-03-07. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using active queue management (AQM) such
   as random early detection (RED) or pre-congestion notification (PCN).
   We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size should be taken
   into account when transports read and respond to congestion
   indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into account when
   network equipment creates congestion signals (marking, dropping), and
   therefore (3) the byte-mode packet drop variant of the RED AQM
   algorithm that drops fewer small packets should not be used.  This
   memo updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate preferential treatment
   of small packets in AQM algorithms.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.