Subject: [tsvwg] RFC 6951 on UDP Encapsulation of Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Packets for End-Host to End-Host Communication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:14:39 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6951

        Title:      UDP Encapsulation of Stream Control 
                    Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Packets for End-Host 
                    to End-Host Communication 
        Author:     M. Tuexen, R. Stewart
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 25676
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-udp-encaps-14.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6951.txt

This document describes a simple method of encapsulating Stream
Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) packets into UDP packets and its
limitations.  This allows the usage of SCTP in networks with legacy
NATs that do not support SCTP.  It can also be used to implement SCTP
on hosts without directly accessing the IP layer, for example,
implementing it as part of the application without requiring special
privileges.

Please note that this document only describes the functionality
required within an SCTP stack to add on UDP encapsulation, providing
only those mechanisms for two end-hosts to communicate with each
other over UDP ports.  In particular, it does not provide mechanisms
to determine whether UDP encapsulation is being used by the peer, nor
the mechanisms for determining which remote UDP port number can be
used.  These functions are out of scope for this document.

This document covers only end-hosts and not tunneling (egress or
ingress) endpoints.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC