Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 23:19:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Jukka Manner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-10.txt
	Pages           : 45
	Date            : 2013-05-23

Abstract:
   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using any active queue management (AQM)
   algorithm, such as random early detection (RED), BLUE, pre-congestion
   notification (PCN), etc.  We give three strong recommendations: (1)
   packet size should be taken into account when transports read and
   respond to congestion indications, (2) packet size should not be
   taken into account when network equipment creates congestion signals
   (marking, dropping), and therefore (3) in the specific case of RED,
   the byte-mode packet drop variant that drops fewer small packets
   should not be used.  This memo updates RFC 2309 to deprecate
   deliberate preferential treatment of small packets in AQM algorithms.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-10

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/