Subject: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-11.txt> (Byte and Packet Congestion Notification) to Best Current Practice

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:35:53 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document:
- 'Byte and Packet Congestion Notification'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-11.txt> as Best Current Practice

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-24. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using any active queue management (AQM)
   algorithm, including random early detection (RED), BLUE, pre-
   congestion notification (PCN) and newer schemes such as CoDel and
   PIE.  We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size should be
   taken into account when transports detect and respond to congestion
   indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into account when
   network equipment creates congestion signals (marking, dropping), and
   therefore (3) in the specific case of RED, the byte-mode packet drop
   variant that drops fewer small packets should not be used.  This memo
   updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate preferential treatment of
   small packets in AQM algorithms.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.