Subject: [tsvwg] Guidelines for Adding Congestion Notification to Protocols that Encapsulate IP

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 13:33:20 +0100

TSV folks,

We've just posted an update to the guidelines for adding congestion 
notification to L2 and tunnelling protocols, e.g. Ethernet, L2TP, 
GRE, PPTP, GTP etc. Especially of current interest in mobile and 
separately in data centres.

Pls read/review and send any comments to the list.
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines>

It's currently still an individual draft; intended status: BCP.
We're looking for support for adoption as a item of work in tsvwg.

We've dealt with most of the outstanding issues from previous 
reviews, esp. those from Gorry (see summary of diffs below).

--------------------------------
Summary of Diffs from -02 to -03

       *  Scope section:

          +  Added dependence on correct propagation of traffic class
             information

          +  For the feed-backward mode, deemed multicast and anycast out
             of scope

       *  Ensured all guidelines referring to subnet technologies also
          refer to tunnels and vice versa by adding applicability
          sentences at the start of sections 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.6 and
          5.

       *  Added Security Considerations on ensuring congestion signal
          fields are classed as immutable and on using end-to-end
          congestion signal integrity technologies rather than hop-by-
          hop.

Bob

>From: <[email-masked]>
>To: John Kaippallimalil <[email-masked]>,
>         Bob Briscoe
>         <[email-masked]>,
>         "Bob J.Briscoe" <[email-masked]>,
>         Pat Thaler
>         <[email-masked]>,
>         Patricia Thaler <[email-masked]>
>Subject: New Version Notification for
>         draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-03.txt
>
>
>A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-03.txt
>has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
>IETF repository.
>
>Filename:       draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines
>Revision:       03
>Title:          Guidelines for Adding Congestion Notification to 
>Protocols that Encapsulate IP
>Creation date:  2013-09-17
>Group:          Individual Submission
>Number of pages: 29
>URL: 
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-03.txt
>Status: 
>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines
>Htmlized: 
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-03
>Diff: 
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines-03
>
>Abstract:
>    The purpose of this document is to guide the design of congestion
>    notification in any lower layer or tunnelling protocol that
>    encapsulates IP.  The aim is for explicit congestion signals to
>    propagate consistently from lower layer protocols into IP.  Then the
>    IP internetwork layer can act as a portability layer to carry
>    congestion notification from non-IP-aware congested nodes up to the
>    transport layer (L4).  Following these guidelines should assure
>    interworking between new lower layer congestion notification
>    mechanisms, whether specified by the IETF or other standards bodies.
>
> 
>
>
>
>Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
>until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
>
>The IETF Secretariat

________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT