Subject: Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-geib-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon-04.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:57:05 +1300

Hi Rüdiger,

>    DSCP Precedence Prefix  The bits 0-2 of the DSCP (marked "x" in this
>            generic DSCP field: xxxddd) are called the DSCP Precedence
>            Prefix [RFC2474] in the following.  By ignoring the value of
>            bits 3-6 ( d stands for don' care), a simple aggregation of
>            PHBs differed by DSCP is possible in IP and MPLS backbones,
>            but also if Ethernet transport is applied.  

Thankyou for providing explicit terminology for this. I am still worried
that by reviving the word "precedence" we would seriously damage outsiders'
understanding of differentiated services. The specific reason we got rid
of "precedence" and the notion of simple priority (except for implementing
the legacy code points) was to underline that precedence doesn't provide
quality of service; if anything, it provides quality of disservice.

Couldn't you call those three bits "DSCP Aggregation Prefix"? Then they
would refer to 8 traffic classes, and only in a very primitive
implementation would they be mapped to priority levels.

    Brian

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:17:14 -0400

Changing Precedence to Aggregation makes sense to me.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Brian E Carpenter
> Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:57 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-geib-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon-04.txt
> 
> Hi Rüdiger,
>

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 08:40:05 +0100

David, Brian,

terminology will be changed to "DSCP Aggregation Prefix" in the next version.

Thanks and regards,

Ruediger

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Black, David
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:17 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-geib-tsvwg-diffserv-intercon-04.txt

Thanks,
--David