Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 14:35:13 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Jukka Manner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12.txt
	Pages           : 48
	Date            : 2013-11-07

Abstract:
   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using any active queue management (AQM)
   algorithm, including random early detection (RED), BLUE, pre-
   congestion notification (PCN) and newer schemes such as CoDel
   (Controlled Delay) and PIE (Proportional Integral controller
   Enhanced).  We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size
   should be taken into account when transports detect and respond to
   congestion indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into
   account when network equipment creates congestion signals (marking,
   dropping), and therefore (3) in the specific case of RED, the byte-
   mode packet drop variant that drops fewer small packets should not be
   used.  This memo updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate
   preferential treatment of small packets in AQM algorithms.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/