Subject: [tsvwg] Review of draft-multicast-udp_guidelines

From: Randy Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 14:29:50 -0800

All

I agreed to give a review of this document at tsvwg yesterday, so while I await
my plane to SFO here goes:

Abstract:

What is pont-to-point ?

2.1
"
When the multicast traffic exits the administrative domain of a
single network or the bi-laterally agreed path between networks, or
is tunneled across the unicast Internet either to another multicast
network or to an end device, the application SHOULD provide a TCPcompatible
aggregate flow over the end-to-end path to each leaf.
"

Thats a *lot* for one sentence, maybe you could pare this down a bit
and get rid of the case list, you already state the scope earlier and
I don't think you need to illustrate it every time.

2.1.4

You might also note that some providers always drop fragments not just
NAT's and F/W's

IANA Considerations

Probably you should not leave the boiler plate here.

Security considerations

Again, bolier plate but worse no other words.

*****************************************************

Now my overall opinion is that this document is rather rough yet; It is hard to read
due to sentences (like the one illustrated above) that run on and on and probably
should be re-written to be a bit more easy to understand. Especially if this is to be
general advice to application writers which it seems it is.

Best regards

R
-----
Randall Stewart
[email-masked]

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 07:50:13 -0800

> Probably you should not leave the boiler plate here.

This might be a good place to put some recommendations on how to ask for 
various multicast codepoints, including multicast addresses and 
multicast services. The latter is partly addressed in 
draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use.

Joe