Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:51:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Recommendations for Transport Port Number Uses
        Author          : Joe Touch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-05.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2014-09-17

Abstract:
   This document provides recommendations to application and service
   designers on how to use the transport protocol port number space. IT
   complements (but does not update) RFC6335, which focuses on IANA
   process.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 15:17:35 -0700

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-05.txt

Hi, all,

This is a summary of updates based on WGLC.

Comments welcome.

Joe

------------------------

MAJOR (content):

- revised rationale for conservation in the context of maintaining
current use rate, not an urgent need to reduce use rate

- added note that doc complements but does not update RFC6335

- revised security recommendations and considerations

- revised performance variation issue

MINOR (wordsmithing):

- unified terminology that overlaps with RFC6335 (port range names)

- updated term "port" to "port numbers", including title

- updated term "connection" to include connectionless associations, such
as for UDP

- replaced summary of RFC5405 with pointer

- clarified relation to service names

- clarified experimental port number use

- clarified squatter issues

- other wordsmithing changes as suggested

----------------------------------