Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Agenda request for the TSVWG meeting in Prague

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 09:38:06 +0800

Dear Gorry & David, 

I would like to have a 15-minute time slot  to present the UATN to our folks in the Prague IETF meeting. 
  I have already proposed an approach to Upload Acceleration Transport Network(UATN) for upstream traffics, and the drafts was submitted.  
   This is the link, https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut/

Regards,
Xiaowei Qin

It is time to start building the TSVWG meeting agenda for the Prague IETF
meeting.
 As usual, if you edit a WG draft, please contact the chairs and let us
know whether we should expect a short update or whether you think you
could benefit from a longer slot to discuss issues.
 If you would like to present other work in tsvwg, please send an email
to the Chairs asap - so things can be discussed on the list prior to the
meeting.Note: please be sure to embed "tsvwg"in the filename of all new
drafts.
Please send requests as soon as possible.
Thanks!
Gorry & David
(tsvwg Co-Chairs)

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 20:53:37 +0000

Dear Xiaowei,

First of all, we (WG chairs) want to thank you for setting a good example
of how to go about bringing ideas for new work to the IETF.  The -00
UATN draft was submitted well before the 2-week pre-meeting cutoff,
the submission was announced to the relevant mailing lists, and there’s
been some discussion on the lists.

All of those steps are appreciated, and are much better than the
alternative approach of submitting a -00 draft right at the 2-week
pre-meeting cutoff and then immediately asking for agenda time.  The
WG chairs usually turn down the latter sort of request, as we want to
see some level of interest in the proposed activity based on list
discussion.

Turning to the UATN draft itself, we (WG chairs) have a few concerns:

- We’re not sure whether this draft belongs in the TSV Area vs. the ART
      Area.  As a CDN-related draft, it may belong over in ART, at that’s
the IETF Area into which the CDNI WG was recently moved.
- We haven’t seen any interest expressed in this work from people other
      than the authors either here or on the apps-discuss list (in ART).
We’ll continue to watch the mailing lists.
- We’re unclear on what protocol or other specification work the draft
is suggesting that the IETF (and specifically TSVWG) undertake,
as Section 4 says:

4.  New Protocol Considerations

   This document does not call for changes or additions: any new
   session, transport or network protocols; new protocols for delivering
   content from a UATN to an End User/User agent; new protocols for
   ingestion of content between a UATN and a USP.

      (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-qin-tsvwg-uatnut-00#section-4)

We’d appreciate some clarification on the latter concern, and we’ll
continue to watch mailing list discussion, but it’s not appropriate to
put the UATN draft on the tsvwg agenda at this time.  The agenda will
evolve between now and the Prague meeting, so there may be an opportunity
to add time for the draft later on.

Thanks,
--David and Gorry (tsvwg chairs)

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 9:38 PM
To: Black, David; gorry
Cc: tsvwg
Subject: Re:[tsvwg] Agenda request for the TSVWG meeting in Prague

Dear Gorry & David,

Regards,
Xiaowei Qin

meeting.

• As usual, if you edit a WG draft, please contact the chairs and let us

• If you would like to present other work in tsvwg, please send an email

drafts.

Thanks!

Gorry & David

(tsvwg Co-Chairs)

________________________________

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 15:22:34 +0800

Dear David ,
Thanks for you letter.

Perhaps UATN is an new ideas, so has not attracted people's concerns up to now. IMO, as mobile devices developing, however, the UATN will be used widely in the future.

>  We’re unclear on what protocol or other specification work the draft is suggesting that the IETF (and specifically TSVWG) undertake, as Section 4 says:
 > This document does not call for changes or additions: any new session, transport or network protocols; new protocols for delivering content from a UATN to an End User/User agent; 
> new protocols for ingestion of content between a UATN and a USP.

- Many existing Upload Service Providers(USPs) have deployed or are deploying their own upload acceleration networks, or are scaling up their data servers infrastructure to expand upstream throughput to improve user experience. However, no standards or open specifications currently exist to facilitate such acceleration approach.  IMO, IETF may need to give a "framework" document providing a description of the Upload Acceleration Transport Network(UATN) and how it works. So that end users can use the UATN regardless of that End User's location or attachment network. 
- There already exists transport protocols between end user and data center, so, IMO , UATN can use the existing transport protocols to avoid defining new protocols. However, it needs to point out which transport protocol/ protocols can be used.
-Especially, in existing CDNs, content is moved to Edge Servers ahead of time or scheduled time, and the data transmission service is "from one server to many end users". The uploading of end users is unexpected and the data transmission is "from many end users to one data server". So, UATN itself may need a new transport protocol for moving content over the long-haul Internet with high reliability and performance.

best wishes
Xiaowei Qin 
From: Black, David
Date: 2015-06-17 04:53
To: [email-masked]
CC: tsvwg; gorry; Black, David
Subject: RE: Re:[tsvwg] Agenda request for the TSVWG meeting in Prague
Dear Xiaowei,

 

 

 
Thanks,

Dear Gorry & David, 

Regards,
Xiaowei Qin

It is time to start building the TSVWG meeting agenda for the Prague IETFmeeting.• As usual, if you edit a WG draft, please contact the chairs and let usknow whether we should expect a short update or whether you think youcould benefit from a longer slot to discuss issues.• If you would like to present other work in tsvwg, please send an emailto the Chairs asap - so things can be discussed on the list prior to themeeting.Note: please be sure to embed "tsvwg"in the filename of all newdrafts.Please send requests as soon as possible.Thanks!Gorry & David(tsvwg Co-Chairs)