Subject: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-14.txt> (SCTP-PF: Quick Failover Algorithm in SCTP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2015 10:24:54 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document:
- 'SCTP-PF: Quick Failover Algorithm in SCTP'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-14.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-12-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   SCTP supports multi-homing.  However, when the failover operation
   specified in RFC4960 is followed, there can be significant delay and
   performance degradation in the data transfer path failover.  To
   overcome this problem this document specifies a quick failover
   algorithm (SCTP-PF) based on the introduction of a Potentially Failed
   (PF) state in SCTP Path Management.

   The document also specifies a dormant state operation of SCTP.  This
   dormant state operation is required to be followed by an SCTP-PF
   implementation, but it may equally well be applied by a standard
   RFC4960 SCTP implementation.

   Additionally, the document introduces an alternative switchback
   operation mode called Primary Path Switchover that will be beneficial
   in certain situations.  This mode of operation applies to both a
   standard RFC4960 SCTP implementation as well as to a SCTP-PF
   implementation.

   The procedures defined in the document require only minimal
   modifications to the RFC4960 specification.  The procedures are
   sender-side only and do not impact the SCTP receiver.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.