Subject: [tsvwg] DCTCP and draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation ?

From: Karen Elisabeth Egede Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:01:29 +0100

Hi,

This very likely has been discussed length and I just missed it (Sorry).

Why is dctcp, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-03, not
mentioned in this draft ?

Even if it does not fall within the 4ls experiments (not sure about the
answer to this) then it might be useful to add a few lines explaining
the status of DCTCP in this respect ?

Something else entirely then are mechanisms like DCQCN, not specified by
IETF, but relying generally on ECN markings in UDP transport,
though not following neither the classical nor the l4s approach.
Such mechanisms as is, whether they use ECT(0) or ECT(1), remain to be
treated as alians (or plainly as not compliant with standards) at this time
in stage. Correct ?

BR, Karen

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 16:39:02 +0000

Hi Karen,

> Why is dctcp, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-03, not mentioned in this draft ?

Shortage of "copious spare time" :-).

I'm happy add some mention of DCTCP in editing after we determine whether
the WG adopts the ECN Experimentation draft.  The mention could be that DCTCP
is another example of technology where experimentation is enabled (e.g., as the
TCPM DCTCP draft is intended to be Informational, and warns about  problems
in coexisting with conventional TCP congestion control - use of ECT(1) and separate
queues could be interesting).

> treated as aliens (or plainly as not compliant with standards) at this time
> in stage. Correct ?

 I think so.  To put this in other words, if the DCQCN proponents are interested
in an Experimental RFC, the ECN experimentation draft's proposed changes
are likely to help in that endeavor, but for now, they (like DCTCP) have
non-standard ECN usage.

Thanks, --David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Karen Elisabeth Egede Nielsen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 4:01 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Black,
> David
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: DCTCP and draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation ?
> 
> Hi,
>