Subject: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-ieee-802-11-01 - RFC 4594 update?

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 00:27:23 +0000

As part of a private discussion with the authors of this draft about a year ago,
the WG chairs and draft authors determined that an update to RFC 4594 would
remove confusion that was encountered about whether the High-Throughput
Data Service Class (default PHBs: AF1x) would be appropriate to carry as
less-than-best-effort traffic (it's not). 

The specific proposed update to Section 4.8 of RFC 4594 is:

OLD
   It can be assumed that this class will consume any available bandwidth
   and that packets traversing congested links may experience higher
   queuing delays or packet loss.
NEW
   As this class is expected to consist of TCP traffic and other traffic
   with a TCP-like response to available bandwidth and network bottlenecks,
   it can be assumed that this class will consume any available bandwidth
   and that packets traversing congested links may experience higher
   queuing delays or packet loss.

We need to figure out where and how to make that change, which I believe
to be editorial.   The LE PHB draft is the wrong place, because this change
is not to RFC 4594's Low-Priority Data service class text (Section 4.10).   This
802.11 Diffserv draft could be used to make that change, or I could simply
file it with the RFC Editor as an Errata against RFC 4594.

My current inclination is to file it as an errata, but I welcome comments,
suggestions and insights on what to do.

Thanks, --David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: tsvwg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gorry Fairhurst
> Sent: Monday, December 12, 2016 12:27 PM
> To: tsvwg WG
> Subject: [tsvwg] WGLC for draft-ietf-tsvwg-ieee-802-11-01 as PS, closes 31 Dec
> 2016
> 
> 
> This email announces a TSVWG Working Group Last Call (WGLC) on:
> 
>                DiffServ to IEEE 802.11 Mapping
>                draft-ietf-tsvwg-ieee-802-11-01
> 
>   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ieee-802-11/
> 
>   This WGLC will last for about 3 weeks weeks (due to the holiday season).
> 
>   Comments should be sent to the [email-masked] list, although purely
>   editorial comments may be sent directly to the authors. Please cc: the
>   WG chairs at [email-masked]  if you would like the chairs to
>   track such editorial comments as part of the WGLC process.
> 
>   No IPR disclosures have been submitted directly on
>   draft-ietf-tsvwg-ieee-802-11-01
> 
>   Thanks,
>   Gorry, David and Wes
>   (TSVWG Co-Chairs)
>