Subject: [tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-01.txt - Comments from David Black

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 02:19:50 +0000

I had looked at this draft earlier, so all of these comments are minor text edits.

-- Abstract

OLD
   The Differentiated Services (Diffserv) architecture specifies use of
   the field in the IPv4 and IPv6 packet header to carry the Diffserv
   Code point (DSCP).
NEW
   The Differentiated Services (Diffserv) architecture specifies use of
   a field in the IPv4 and IPv6 packet headers to carry Diffserv
   Codepoint (DSCP) values.

Global: Codepoint is one word, not two words, i.e., not "code point".

OLD
   Pool 1 code points (i.e., DEC's of the form xxxx11)
   remain available for these purposes.
NEW
   Pool 1 codepoints (i.e., DSCP's of the form xxxx11)
   remain available for these purposes.

-- Section 1. Introduction

OLD
   Pool 3 comprises 16 code points
   [RFC2474], which were initially "available for experimental or local
   use, but which were indicated should be preferentially utilized for
   standardized assignments if Pool 1 is ever exhausted."
NEW 
   Pool 3 comprises 16 codepoints
   [RFC2474], which were specified as "initially available for
   experimental or local use, but which should be preferentially
   utilized for standardized assignments if Pool 1 is ever exhausted." [RFC2474]

OLD
   The continued presence of bleaching of the IP precedence field
   (setting the top three bits of the former TOS byte to zero)
NEW
   The continued presence of bleaching of the IP precedence field
   (zeroing the top three bits of the former TOS byte, i.e. the top three bits of the DSCP)

OLD
   To allow the IETF to utilise Pool 3 code points, this document
   requests IANA to manage Pool 3 and make assignments for DSCP code
   points in Pool 3 when requested by Standards Action.
NEW
   To allow the IETF to utilise Pool 3 codepoints, this document
   requests IANA to manage Pool 3 assignments for DSCP codepoints
   in Pool 3 via the Standards Action policy [RFC8126].

-- Section 5.  IANA Considerations

   IANA is expected to normally make assignments from Pool
   1, until this Pool is exhausted, but MAY make assignments from Pool 3
   where the format of the code point has properties that are needed for
   a specific PB.

code point -> codepoint
PB -> PHB

Thanks, --David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, March 12, 2018 1:05 PM
> To: Black, David <[email-masked]>
> Subject: New Version Notification - draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-01.txt
> 
> 
> A new version (-01) has been submitted for draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-
> registry:
> https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-
> 01.txt
> 
> 
> The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry/
> 
> Diff from previous version:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-01
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
> until the diff is available at tools.ietf.org.
> 
> IETF Secretariat.