Subject: [tsvwg] New draft: "Interactions between L4S & Diffserv"

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:17:34 +0000

TSVWG chairs & list,

As requested and promised, on Monday I submitted a -00 individual draft 
on the interaction between L4S and Diffserv.
Intended status: INFORMATIONAL.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv-00

*Status**
*It's reasonably complete already (in 17pp).
It developed from initial discussions with DavidB & Gorry in Singapore 
(& over email afterwards including Wes), as well as internal discussions 
in CableLabs and presentations to a number of vendors and operators. 
However, all views expressed and mistakes are my own.

So it's ready to review for adoption, which can hopefully be achieved in 
reasonably short order (given it's informational about an experiment 
there is scope for it to change during the experiment).

*Known Gaps*

  * The Abstract promises "in which cases one can stand alone without
    needing the other". That's implicitly embedded in the text, but not
    brought out explicitly.
  * Mapping to 802.11 user priorities (or LTE QCIs)? Not strictly within
    the scope, but perhaps desirable to add, or at least to mention how
    L4S (experimental) would affect RFC8325 which gives (standards
    track) mappings between Diffserv and 802.11.
  * Comparison between L4S policing and Diffserv traffic conditioning is TBA
  * Security Considerations are TBA (largely depends on the previous bullet)

*Fit with other L4S drafts**
*
The idea is to use this informational draft to explain in longhand how 
L4S and Diffserv fit together, then put any normative requirements on 
L4S concerning Diffserv in the relevant experimental drafts, specifically:

  * draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-l4s-dualq-coupled [DONE & SUBMITTED as -04]
  * draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id [DONE but I screwed up the metadata just
    before the deadline - will post on Monday of IETF when draft server
    opens again.]

We will also summarize this L4S-Diffserv draft (once stable) in the L4S 
architecture (draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch). I didn't want to make the L4S 
architecture 17 pages longer solely to describe interactions with an 
architecture that actually only exists as one PHB in many parts of the 
Internet.

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv-00.txt
Date: 	Mon, 05 Mar 2018 16:04:09 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv
Revision:	00
Title:		Interactions between Low Latency, Low Loss, Scalable Throughput (L4S) and Differentiated Services
Document date:	2018-03-05
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		17
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv-00
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-l4s-diffserv-00

Abstract:
    L4S and Diffserv offer somewhat overlapping services (low latency and
    low loss), but bandwidth allocation is out of scope for L4S.
    Therefore there is scope for the two approaches to complement each
    other, but also to conflict.  This informational document explains
    how the two approaches interact, how they can be arranged to
    complement each other and in which cases one can stand alone without
    needing the other.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat