Subject: [tsvwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-sub-path-ps-00.txt

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 10:49:04 -0700

Hello,

I've posted a new draft on sub-path transport layer. The basic idea is
to use tunnels with transport layer mechanisms over sub-paths in a
network that have "interesting" characteristics.

Sub-path transport layer bears a similarity to
draft-pauly-tsvwg-tcp-encapsulation in that in both use encapsulation
that includes transport layer mechanisms, however the motivation is
quite different. In sub-path transport layer, transport semantics in
an encapsulation are the goal. TCP encapsulation could be one
manifestation of a sub-path transport layer, but it's probably too
heavy weight as a general solution (for instance we want reliability
to only best effort in an encapsulation to minimize bad interaction
with higher layer transport).

Comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:06 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-sub-path-ps-00.txt
To: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-herbert-sub-path-ps-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tom Herbert and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-herbert-sub-path-ps
Revision:       00
Title:          Sub-path Transport Layer Problem Statement
Document date:  2018-09-25
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          9
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-herbert-sub-path-ps-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-herbert-sub-path-ps/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-sub-path-ps-00
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-herbert-sub-path-ps

Abstract:
   This document presents the problem statement and use cases for a sub-
   path transport layer. A sub-path is a portion of a network path that
   has localized characteristics that are of interest to an operator to
   manage. The  structure for managing a sub-path is the "sub-path
   transport layer". A sub-path transport layer can provide transport
   layer mechanisms, such as reliability and congestion control, over
   the aggregate of packets traversing the sub-path. Additionally, a
   sub-path transport layer can provide performance measurements of
   traffic over a sub-path which in turn can be input to operations and
   management. The sub-path transport layer implies the possibility that
   traffic may be subject to two transport layer control loops, that of
   the sub-path and that of a higher layer transport protocol, any such
   solution must consider the ramifications of that.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat