Subject: [tsvwg] New Version Notification for draft-white-tsvwg-lld-00.txt

From: Greg White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 23:29:00 +0000

TSVWG,

I've posted a new informative draft that gives an overview of the new Low Latency DOCSIS specification (see links below).  This overview may be interesting to TSVWG participants because it includes support for L4S (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled) and for the NQB PHB (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-white-tsvwg-nqb).

Best Regards,
Greg

On 3/11/19, 5:05 PM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    A new version of I-D, draft-white-tsvwg-lld-00.txt
    has been successfully submitted by Greg White and posted to the
    IETF repository.
    
    Name:		draft-white-tsvwg-lld
    Revision:	00
    Title:		Low Latency DOCSIS - Technology Overview
    Document date:	2019-03-11
    Group:		Individual Submission
    Pages:		25
    URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-tsvwg-lld-00.txt 
    Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-white-tsvwg-lld/ 
    Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-white-tsvwg-lld-00 
    Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-white-tsvwg-lld 

    Abstract:
       NOTE: This document is a reformatted version of [LLD-white-paper].
    
       The evolution of the bandwidth capabilities - from kilobits per
       second to gigabits - across generations of DOCSIS cable broadband
       technology has paved the way for the applications that today form our
       digital lives.  Along with increased bandwidth, or "speed", the
       latency performance of DOCSIS technology has also improved in recent
       years.  Although it often gets less attention, latency performance
       contributes as much or more to the broadband experience and the
       feasibility of future applications as does speed.
    
       Low Latency DOCSIS technology (LLD) is a specification developed by
       CableLabs in collaboration with DOCSIS vendors and cable operators
       that tackles the two main causes of latency in the network: queuing
       delay and media acquisition delay.  LLD introduces an approach
       wherein data traffic from applications that aren't causing latency
       can take a different logical path through the DOCSIS network without
       getting hung up behind data from applications that are causing
       latency, as is the case in today's Internet architectures.  This
       mechanism doesn't interfere with the way applications share the total
       bandwidth of the connection, and it doesn't reduce one application's
       latency at the expense of others.  In addition, LLD improves the
       DOCSIS upstream media acquisition delay with a faster request-grant
       loop and a new proactive scheduling mechanism.  LLD makes the
       internet experience better for latency sensitive applications without
       any negative impact on other applications.
    
       The latest generation of DOCSIS equipment that has been deployed in
       the field - DOCSIS 3.1 - experiences typical latency performance of
       around 10 milliseconds (ms) on the Access Network link.  However,
       under heavy load, the link can experience delay spikes of 100 ms or
       more.  LLD systems can deliver a consistent 1 ms delay on the DOCSIS
       network for traffic that isn't causing latency, imperceptible for
       nearly all applications.  The experience will be more consistent with
       much smaller delay variation.
    
       LLD can be deployed by field-upgrading DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and
       cable modem termination system devices with new software.  The
       technology includes tools that enable automatic provisioning of these
       new services, and it also introduces new tools to report statistics
       of latency performance to the operator.
    
       Cable operators, DOCSIS equipment manufacturers, and application
       providers will all have to act in order to take advantage of LLD.
       This white paper explains the technology and describes the role that
       each of these parties plays in making LLD a reality.

    
    Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
    until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.
    
    The IETF Secretariat