Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 14:30:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DualQ Coupled AQMs for Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
                          Greg White
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-10.txt
	Pages           : 49
	Date            : 2019-07-08

Abstract:
   The Low Latency Low Loss Scalable Throughput (L4S) architecture
   allows data flows over the public Internet to achieve consistent
   ultra-low queuing latency, generally zero congestion loss and scaling
   of per-flow throughput without the scaling problems of traditional
   TCP.  To achieve this, L4S data flows have to use one of the family
   of 'Scalable' congestion controls (Data Centre TCP and TCP Prague are
   examples) and a form of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) with
   modified behaviour.  However, until now, Scalable congestion controls
   did not co-exist with existing TCP Reno/Cubic traffic --- Scalable
   controls are so aggressive that 'Classic' TCP algorithms drive
   themselves to a small capacity share.  Therefore, until now, L4S
   controls could only be deployed where a clean-slate environment could
   be arranged, such as in private data centres (hence the name DCTCP).
   This specification defines `DualQ Coupled Active Queue Management
   (AQM)', which enables these Scalable congestion controls to safely
   co-exist with Classic Internet traffic.

   Analytical study and implementation testing of the Coupled AQM have
   shown that Scalable and Classic flows competing under similar
   conditions run at roughly the same rate.  It achieves this
   indirectly, without having to inspect transport layer flow
   identifiers.  When tested in a residential broadband setting, DCTCP
   also achieves sub-millisecond average queuing delay and zero
   congestion loss under a wide range of mixes of DCTCP and `Classic'
   broadband Internet traffic, without compromising the performance of
   the Classic traffic.  The solution also reduces network complexity
   and requires no configuration for the public Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-10
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-aqm-dualq-coupled-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/