Subject: [tsvwg] RFC 8680 on Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework Extension to Sliding Window Codes

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 15:38:49 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8680

        Title:      Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework 
                    Extension to Sliding Window Codes 
        Author:     V. Roca,
                    A. Begen
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Updates:    RFC 6363

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-fecframe-ext-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8680

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8680

RFC 6363 describes a framework for using Forward Error Correction
(FEC) codes to provide protection against packet loss.  The framework
supports applying FEC to arbitrary packet flows over unreliable
transport and is primarily intended for real-time, or streaming,
media.  However, FECFRAME as per RFC 6363 is restricted to block FEC
codes.  This document updates RFC 6363 to support FEC codes based on a
sliding encoding window, in addition to block FEC codes, in a
backward-compatible way. During multicast/broadcast real-time content
delivery, the use of sliding window codes significantly improves
robustness in harsh environments, with less repair traffic and lower
FEC-related added latency.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC