Subject: [tsvwg] some old abbreviations

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 10:27:35 +0800

Folks,

I'm not subscribed to this list, but have a small favor to ask.

I'm working on an update of RFC 3272, the document we are working on
have a paragraph in section

"The schemes described in the short time scale (e.g., RED and its
variations, > ECN, LQD, and RND)."

RED is Random Early Detection
ECN is Explicit Congestion Notification

Magnus helped me find Loss and Quieng Delay control (LQD).

I have not been able to find RND, anyone that can help?

The latest version of the document we are working on is:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dt-teas-rfc3272bis-07

I plan to re-write part of the congestion text.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert
Bronze Dragon Consulting             phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 07:17:33 -0500

Loa,

Perhaps it's the RED precursor, "random drop". Google found this bit of 
history -
http://tnlandforms.us/ipp05/p1-mankin.pdf

Lou

----------

---

From: Neal Cardwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 09:05:04 -0500

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dt-teas-rfc3272bis-07

The text in this section:
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dt-teas-rfc3272bis-07#section-2.4.1
summarizes RND as:

"Dynamic Soft Partitioning with Random Drop (RND) [SLDC98]"

That [SLDC98] reference is:

  [SLDC98] Suter, B., Lakshman, T., Stiliadis, D., and A. Choudhury,
     "Design Considerations for Supporting TCP with Per-flow
     Queueing", Proceedings INFOCOM'98, p. 299-306, 1998.

The PDF for that paper seems to be available for IEEE members at:
   https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/659666

neal