Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 15:12:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Low Latency, Low Loss, Scalable Throughput (L4S) Internet Service: Architecture
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Koen De Schepper
                          Marcelo Bagnulo
                          Greg White
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-06.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2020-03-09

Abstract:
   This document describes the L4S architecture, which enables Internet
   applications to achieve Low Latency, Low Loss, and Scalable
   throughput (L4S).  The insight on which L4S is based is that the root
   cause of queuing delay is in the congestion controllers of senders,
   not in the queue itself.  The L4S architecture is intended to enable
   *all* Internet applications to transition away from congestion
   control algorithms that cause queuing delay, to a new class of
   congestion controls that utilize explicit congestion signaling
   provided by the network.  This new class of congestion control can
   provide low latency for capacity-seeking flows, so applications can
   achieve both high bandwidth and low latency.

   The architecture primarily concerns incremental deployment.  It
   defines mechanisms that allow both classes of congestion control to
   coexist in a shared network.  These mechanisms aim to ensure that the
   latency and throughput performance using an L4S-compliant congestion
   controller is usually much better (and never worse) than the
   performance would have been using a 'Classic' congestion controller,
   and that competing flows continuing to use 'Classic' controllers are
   typically not impacted by the presence of L4S.  These characteristics
   are important to encourage adoption of L4S congestion control
   algorithms and L4S compliant network elements.

   The L4S architecture consists of three components: network support to
   isolate L4S traffic from classic traffic and to provide appropriate
   congestion signaling to both types; protocol features that allow
   network elements to identify L4S traffic and allow for communication
   of congestion signaling; and host support for immediate congestion
   signaling with an appropriate congestion response that enables
   scalable performance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-l4s-arch-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/