Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 03:05:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols
        Authors         : Godred Fairhurst
                          Colin Perkins
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13.txt
	Pages           : 50
	Date            : 2020-03-21

Abstract:
   To protect user data and privacy, Internet transport protocols have
   supported payload encryption and authentication for some time.  Such
   encryption and authentication is now also starting to be applied to
   the transport protocol headers.  This helps avoid transport protocol
   ossification by middleboxes, while also protecting metadata about the
   communication.  Current operational practice in some networks inspect
   transport header information within the network, but this is no
   longer possible when those transport headers are encrypted.  This
   document discusses the possible impact when network traffic uses a
   protocol with an encrypted transport header.  It suggests issues to
   consider when designing new transport protocols or features.  These
   considerations arise from concerns such as network operations,
   prevention of network ossification, enabling transport protocol
   evolution and respect for user privacy.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 12:18:06 +0000

Thanks to all who provided comments on and off list, this document was improved by understanding the feedback. We worked with the document shepherd (David) to address the issues, and expect this revision is now in good shape to proceed.

Gorry (as Co-Editor)

Sent from my iPad

> On 21 Mar 2020, at 10:07, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
>

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 06:39:25 -0700

I do not believe that this version of the document addresses my concerns.
The overall tonal issues remain unchanged.

-Ekr

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 5:18 AM Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Thanks to all who provided comments on and off list, this document was
> improved by understanding the feedback. We worked with the document
> shepherd (David) to address the issues, and expect this revision is now in
> good shape to proceed.
>
> Gorry (as Co-Editor)
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> >        Title           : Considerations around Transport Header
> Confidentiality, Network Operations, and the Evolution of Internet
> Transport Protocols

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 16:55:41 -0700

I went through the diff from -12 and -13 and didn't see that addressing my
concerns [1].

I still personally oppose publication of the document as-is.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/nnSr8_nrw7YepWFWA7tLc1k3Nv0/

Thanks,
David

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 6:40 AM Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> >   longer possible when those transport headers are encrypted..  This