Subject: [tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud and QUIC - proposed way forward

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 15:39:34 +0000

TSVWG, 

As we (Authors and AD) made the last changes to address the IESG evaluation of 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud/ it was
realized that a few things about the normative reference to draft-ietf-quic-
transport. 

First, there is a normative reference on the TSVWG DPLPMTUD document from an
approved intarea document (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile/) that has been
blocked from publication since november. Without changes DPLPMTUD document will
not be published until also draft-ietf-quit-transport also is published. 

Secondly, we have noticed some issues with the consistency between the
documents. This is clear already in the review I got on the QUIC mailing list to
the change, and additional can be found in the discussion about parts of the
text proposal on github. 

So there is currently an QUIC WG github issue and a proposed pull request for
moving the actual DPLPMTUD procedures for QUIC into draft-ietf-quic-transport.
Please see:
PR: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/3693
Issue: https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/3695

So the QUIC WG has just started considering this and they are using late stage
processing rules on this which requires a consensus call to make the change. I
would encourage those interest in this document to engage in this process. 

If the QUIC WG adopt this change then Gorry's proposal is that Section 6.3 of
DPLPMTUD to only have a short informative text with an informative reference to
draft-ietf-quic-transport. The text proposal is the following:

   "QUIC [I-D.ietf-quic-transport] is a UDP-based PL that provides
    reception feedback.  The UDP payload includes the QUIC packet header,
    protected payload, and any authentication fields. It supports padding
    that can be used to construct probe packets.
    From the perspect of DPLPMTUD, this can function as an
    acknowledged PL. [I-D.ietf-quic-transport] describes the method
    for using DPLPMTUD with QUIC packets."

I appreciate feedback both on the text proposal above for DPLPMTUD, the pull
request for QUIC and the general intention to move the normative specification
to the QUIC transport document. 
 
Cheers

Magnus Westerlund 
TSV AD

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Networks, Ericsson Research
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Torshamnsgatan 23           | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------