Subject: [tsvwg] status on L4S terminology improvements

From: Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:21:59 -0400

Interested parties should check over the current L4S drafts in regard to 
whether the last couple rounds of editing have fully addressed the 
tracker issue on "terminology improvements" (reduction of "hype", 
removal of "classic TCP", and checking all other uses of 'traditional', 
'classic', and 'legacy').

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/tsvwg/ticket/27

It looks to me like Greg's comment at the bottom of that ticket 
summarizes the status decently, and this is now in need of other 
eyeballs to verify that this has been adequately addressed and can be 
closed.

---

From: "Scharf, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 11:59:21 +0000

> eyeballs to verify that this has been adequately addressed and can be

Indeed, the terminology in the documents has improved.

I don't plan to use some of the remaining "classic" terminology in this document myself. This also includes other related terms such as "'less unscalable' CUBIC", for which IMHO better alternatives could be found.

Yet, authors of INFO and EXP documents probably have some degree of freedom what language to use - and I am not a native speaker. In the IETF compromises are necessary and one cannot always get 100%...

As a result, as long as I am the only one who has no plans to use some of the words picked by the authors, maybe it is time for the WG to move on and focus on the other issues.

Michael

---

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:33:23 +0100

Thanks Michael,

All, Greg has pointed out some occurrences of 'legacy' still in l4s-arch 
(there's also one in dualq, but I left it 'cos it was appropriate - 
related to previous uses of the Diffserv field).

I thought I'd gone through a list of terms to search for systematically 
in each draft, but my manual process must have omitted these.
I've put it on my ToDo list to replace 'legacy' in l4s-arch, when I next 
bring the draft into my "working memory" for other reasons.

Bob

-- 
________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe                               http://bobbriscoe.net/