Subject: [tsvwg] RFC 8899 on Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery for Datagram Transports

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:21:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8899

        Title:      Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery 
                    for Datagram Transports 
        Author:     G. Fairhurst, 
                    T. Jones,
                    M. Tüxen,
                    I. Rüngeler,
                    T. Völker
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Updates:    RFC 4821, RFC 4960, RFC 6951, RFC 8085, RFC 8261

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-22.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8899

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8899

This document specifies Datagram Packetization Layer Path MTU
Discovery (DPLPMTUD). This is a robust method for Path MTU Discovery
(PMTUD) for datagram Packetization Layers (PLs). It allows a PL, or a
datagram application that uses a PL, to discover whether a network
path can support the current size of datagram.  This can be used to
detect and reduce the message size when a sender encounters a packet
black hole. It can also probe a network path to discover whether the
maximum packet size can be increased.  This provides functionality
for datagram transports that is equivalent to the PLPMTUD
specification for TCP, specified in RFC 4821, which it updates. It
also updates the UDP Usage Guidelines to refer to this method for use
with UDP datagrams and updates SCTP.

The document provides implementation notes for incorporating Datagram
PMTUD into IETF datagram transports or applications that use datagram
transports.

This specification updates RFC 4960, RFC 4821, RFC 6951, RFC 8085,
and RFC 8261.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC