Subject: [tsvwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-18.txt

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 09:43:14 +0000

Martin,

We just uploaded a revision that responds to the last round of AD 
comments you provided. Most of your points were directly incorporated, 
(see previous email). We modified the ending and further updated the 
introduction, and then reworked other sections to use similar language 
and reduce what was perceived as repetition (which removes some subtle 
differences in perceptions of different operators, designers, etc ).

The shorter text is shorter and we expect more readable by many. We look 
forward to the next steps.

Best wishes,
Gorry & Colin

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-18.txt
Date: 	Mon, 02 Nov 2020 01:28:49 -0800
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>, Godred Fairhurst 
<[email-masked]>, Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-18.txt
has been successfully submitted by Godred Fairhurst and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt
Revision: 18
Title: Considerations around Transport Header Confidentiality, Network 
Operations, and the Evolution of Internet Transport Protocols
Document date: 2020-11-02
Group: tsvwg
Pages: 48
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-18.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt
Htmlized: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-18
Diff: 
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-18

Abstract:
To protect user data and privacy, Internet transport protocols have
supported payload encryption and authentication for some time. Such
encryption and authentication is now also starting to be applied to
the transport protocol headers. This helps avoid transport protocol
ossification by middleboxes, mitigate attacks against the transport
protocol, and protect metadata about the communication. Current
operational practice in some networks inspect transport header
information within the network, but this is no longer possible when
those transport headers are encrypted.

This document discusses the possible impact when network traffic uses
a protocol with an encrypted transport header. It suggests issues to
consider when designing new transport protocols or features.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat