Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 18:06:42 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Identifying Modified Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Semantics for Ultra-Low Queuing Delay (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-12.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2020-11-15

Abstract:
   This specification defines the identifier to be used on IP packets
   for a new network service called low latency, low loss and scalable
   throughput (L4S).  L4S uses an Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   scheme that is similar to the original (or 'Classic') ECN approach.
   'Classic' ECN marking was required to be equivalent to a drop, both
   when applied in the network and when responded to by a transport.
   Unlike 'Classic' ECN marking, for packets carrying the L4S
   identifier, the network applies marking more immediately and more
   aggressively than drop, and the transport response to each mark is
   reduced and smoothed relative to that for drop.  The two changes
   counterbalance each other so that the throughput of an L4S flow will
   be roughly the same as a non-L4S flow under the same conditions.
   Nonetheless, the much more frequent control signals and the finer
   responses to them result in much more fine-grained adjustments, so
   that ultra-low and consistently low queuing delay (typically sub-
   millisecond on average) becomes possible for L4S traffic without
   compromising link utilization.  Thus even capacity-seeking (TCP-like)
   traffic can have high bandwidth and very low delay at the same time,
   even during periods of high traffic load.

   The L4S identifier defined in this document distinguishes L4S from
   'Classic' (e.g. TCP-Reno-friendly) traffic.  It gives an incremental
   migration path so that suitably modified network bottlenecks can
   distinguish and isolate existing traffic that still follows the
   Classic behaviour, to prevent it degrading the low queuing delay and
   low loss of L4S traffic.  This specification defines the rules that
   L4S transports and network elements need to follow to ensure they
   neither harm each other's performance nor that of Classic traffic.
   Examples of new active queue management (AQM) marking algorithms and
   examples of new transports (whether TCP-like or real-time) are
   specified separately.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-12
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-12

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-12

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/