Subject: [tsvwg] Robert Wilton's Yes on draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-20: (with COMMENT)

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 06:35:31 -0700

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-20: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Thank you for this document, I found it to be an interesting and informative
read.  I also think that this is an important area for the IETF (and IRTF) to
monitor the operational impact of more widespread transport header encryption.

Section 5.3 on "Considerations for Exposing Transport Information" is
interesting, particularly the observations from RFC 8558 regarding the veracity
of explicit signals that are independent from the underlying protocol state
machines.  I do wonder whether there could be more text to cover this in the
conclusions (section 7).

A couple of other minor nits that I spotted:
caries -> carries
example considered -> example that considered

Regards,
Rob