Subject: [tsvwg] Zaheduzzaman Sarker's No Objection on draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-20: (with COMMENT)

From: Zaheduzzaman Sarker via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 10:46:15 -0700

Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt-20: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-transport-encrypt/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for producing this informative document. This document describes
implications on different stakeholders involved and I hope the discussions in
this document help all the stakeholders to achieve the balance required while
designing transport protocols.

Comments:

  * It has been mentioned number of times that traffic volume, traffic patterns
  can be used to perform network measurements (section 2.2.1 and section
  2.3.6). how solid are these claims? I would expect some reference material or
  data to support the claims made.

  * "on-path" and "in-network" both have been used to indicate particular
  network devices. This creates some confusion to me. If they are
  interchangeably used in this document and indicate same network devices then
  I would recommend to use only one. If they are supposed to indicate different
  devices then please include the definition of those. This will help readers
  like me.

  * Section 2.2.2 :

        The utility of these
   measurements depends on the type of bearer and number of mechanisms
   used by network devices.

     I was wondering if term "bearer" is well understood in the context of this
     document. I would recommend to add a definition or add more clarification
     text about  it.

Nits:

  * Section 3.2 : what is DCTP? is this  supposed to be DCTCP? Please provide
  reference to L4S and Data Center TCP.