Subject: [tsvwg] L4S in 5G in VTC2021-Spring

From: Ingemar Johansson S <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 06:51:46 +0000

Hi folks

This paper was presented at VTC2021-spring

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/9448764

Abstract :

Low Latency Low Loss Scalable Throughput (L4S) is a technology intended to
reduce queue delay problems, ensuring low latency to Internet Protocol flows
with a high throughput performance. To reach this goal, it relies on
Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN), a mechanism that marks packets to
signal congestion in the network avoiding packets to be dropped. The
congestion signals are managed at the sender and receiver sides thanks to
scalable congestion control algorithms. In this paper, the challenges to
implement L4S in a 5G network are analyzed. Using a proprietary
state-of-the-art network simulator, the L4S marking strategy has been
implemented at the Packed Data Convergence Protocol layer. To evaluate the
benefits of the implementation, L4S has been adopted to support Augmented
Reality (AR) video gaming traffic while using the IETF experimental standard
Self-Clocked Rate Adaptation for Multimedia (SCReAM) for the congestion
control. The results show that the video gaming traffic experiences lower
delay when supported by L4S. Moreover, in all the cases analyzed, L4S
provides an average application layer throughput above the minimum
requirements of a high-rate latency-critical application, even at high
system loads. Furthermore, the packet loss rate has been significantly
reduced thanks to L4S. If it is used in a combination with a Delay Based
Scheduler (DBS), a packet loss rate very close to zero has been reached.

Regards
Ingemar

================================

Ingemar Johansson  M.Sc. 

Master Researcher

Ericsson Research

RESEARCHER

GFTL ER NAP NCM Netw Proto & E2E Perf

Labratoriegränd 11

977 53, Luleå, Sweden

Phone +46-1071 43042

SMS/MMS +46-73 078 3289

[email-masked]

www.ericsson.com <http://www.ericsson.com/> 

    May you have a strong foundation
     When the winds of changes shift

          Bob Dylan “Forever Young”

=================================