Subject: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis-15.txt> (Stream Control Transmission Protocol) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 16:16:17 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'Stream Control Transmission
Protocol'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-10-14. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document obsoletes RFC 4960, if approved.  It describes the
   Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) and incorporates the
   specification of the chunk flags registry from RFC 6096 and the
   specification of the I bit of DATA chunks from RFC 7053.  Therefore,
   RFC 6096 and RFC 7053 are also obsoleted by this document, if
   approved.

   SCTP was originally designed to transport Public Switched Telephone
   Network (PSTN) signaling messages over IP networks.  It is also
   suited to be used for other applications, for example WebRTC.

   SCTP is a reliable transport protocol operating on top of a
   connectionless packet network such as IP.  It offers the following
   services to its users:

   *  acknowledged error-free non-duplicated transfer of user data,

   *  data fragmentation to conform to discovered path maximum
      transmission unit (PMTU) size,

   *  sequenced delivery of user messages within multiple streams, with
      an option for order-of-arrival delivery of individual user
      messages,

   *  optional bundling of multiple user messages into a single SCTP
      packet, and

   *  network-level fault tolerance through supporting of multi-homing
      at either or both ends of an association.

   The design of SCTP includes appropriate congestion avoidance behavior
   and resistance to flooding and masquerade attacks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.