Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-21.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:03:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Protocol for Very Low Queuing Delay (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-21.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   This specification defines the protocol to be used for a new network
   service called low latency, low loss and scalable throughput (L4S).
   L4S uses an Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) scheme at the IP
   layer that is similar to the original (or 'Classic') ECN approach,
   except as specified within.  L4S uses 'scalable' congestion control,
   which induces much more frequent control signals from the network and
   it responds to them with much more fine-grained adjustments, so that
   very low (typically sub-millisecond on average) and consistently low
   queuing delay becomes possible for L4S traffic without compromising
   link utilization.  Thus even capacity-seeking (TCP-like) traffic can
   have high bandwidth and very low delay at the same time, even during
   periods of high traffic load.

   The L4S identifier defined in this document distinguishes L4S from
   'Classic' (e.g. TCP-Reno-friendly) traffic.  It gives an incremental
   migration path so that suitably modified network bottlenecks can
   distinguish and isolate existing traffic that still follows the
   Classic behaviour, to prevent it degrading the low queuing delay and
   low loss of L4S traffic.  This specification defines the rules that
   L4S transports and network elements need to follow with the intention
   that L4S flows neither harm each other's performance nor that of
   Classic traffic.  Examples of new active queue management (AQM)
   marking algorithms and examples of new transports (whether TCP-like
   or real-time) are specified separately.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-21.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-21

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/