Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:53:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) over Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP)
        Authors         : Magnus Westerlund
                          John Preuß Mattsson
                          Claudio Porfiri
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2021-10-25

Abstract:
   This document describes the usage of the Datagram Transport Layer
   Security (DTLS) protocol to protect user messages sent over the
   Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP).  It is an improved
   update of the existing rfc6083.

   DTLS over SCTP provides mutual authentication, confidentiality,
   integrity protection, and replay protection for applications that use
   SCTP as their transport protocol and allows client/server
   applications to communicate in a way that is designed to give
   communications privacy and to prevent eavesdropping and detect
   tampering or message forgery.

   Applications using DTLS over SCTP can use almost all transport
   features provided by SCTP and its extensions.  This document intends
   to obsolete RFC 6083 and removes the 16 kB limitation due to DTLS on
   user message size by defining a secure user message fragmentation so
   that multiple DTLS records can be used to protect a single user
   message.  It further updates the DTLS versions to use, as well as the
   HMAC algorithms for SCTP-AUTH, and simplifies secure implementation
   by some stricter requirements on the establishment procedures.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-02.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-dtls-over-sctp-bis-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:07:48 +0000

WG,

This is an update of the DTLS over SCTP update proposal to meet 3GPP's
requirement to support larger messages than 16384 bytes and to enable
long lived protected SCTP associations. As we discussed at the last
IETF meeting we had some ideas for how to resolve this. This draft
includes a complete proposal that enables opening a new parallel DTLS
connection when rekeying and mutual authentication is needed. When all
SCTP messages using the old keys have been delivered then the send
closes its side of the old DTLS session. Thus enabling a explicit
signal when things are done, and also before that enabling long periods
of time to drain the old data. So from us authors it appears to avoid
the limitiaitons that existed and also can work without an explicit
draining phase thus avoid any impact on the upper layer protocol
(applicaiton protocol). 

We would appreciate review and feedback on this idea.

On Michael Tüxen's request he is removed as an co-author of this
document. 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

On Mon, 2021-10-25 at 11:53 -0700, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>