Subject: [tsvwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-piraux-tcpls-00.txt

From: Maxime Piraux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:11:02 +0200

Dear all,

During the last years, the QUIC WG has shown that it is possible to
design a new protocol that efficiently combines the security techniques
from TLS with framing and reliability mechanisms above UDP. TLS is a key
element of the protocol stack and is used by most TCP applications.
Today's deployments strictly layer TLS on top of TCP.

For two years now, we have explored a different way of using TLS and TCP
efficiently, inspired by QUIC and other transport protocols. In this 
document,
we propose a new approach to combine TCP and TLS in a protocol that we
call TCPLS. TCPLS provides some very nice features compared to TLS
layered above TCP:

  - TCPLS supports multiple streams
  - TCPLS supports failovers (both make before break and break before
make) and connection migrations
  - TCPLS allows mapping streams on different TCP connections to prevent
head-of-line blocking
  - TCPLS provides multipath capabilities that are similar to Multipath TCP

We have developed prototype implementations of TCPLS and submitted an
I-D describing the proposed protocol.

Comments and suggestions on this initial document are very welcome,

Maxime Piraux

-------- Message transféré --------
Sujet : 	New Version Notification for draft-piraux-tcpls-00.txt
Date : 	Mon, 25 Oct 2021 11:04:52 -0700
De : 	[email-masked]
Pour : 	Florentin Rochet <[email-masked]>, Maxime Piraux 
<[email-masked]>, Olivier Bonaventure 
<[email-masked]>, Olivier Bonaventure 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-piraux-tcpls-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Maxime Piraux and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-piraux-tcpls
Revision: 00
Title: TCPLS: Modern Transport Services with TCP and TLS
Document date: 2021-10-25
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 19
URL: https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-piraux-tcpls-00.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-piraux-tcpls/
Html: https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-piraux-tcpls-00.html
Htmlized: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-piraux-tcpls

Abstract:
This document specifies a protocol leveraging TCP and TLS to provide
modern transport services such as multiplexing, connection migration
and multipath in a secure manner.

Discussion Venues

This note is to be removed before publishing as an RFC.

Source for this draft and an issue tracker can be found at
https://github.com/mpiraux/draft-piraux-tcpls.

The IETF Secretariat