Subject: [tsvwg] I-D An Extension to DNS64 for Sender Policy Framework SPF Awareness

From: Klaus Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:08:49 +0000

Hi,

I wrote an I-D for updating DNS64 to better work for MTA operators. I'd 
like to get your opinions on that as some guidance on how to move 
forward with it (sorry I'm new to the process). Some background for this 
we had some issues with SPF and a mail server that was behind 
NAT64+DNS64. I at first thought that it was just a misconfiguration. But 
after the DNS64 server seamed to work as intended I went to the 
implementation and the RFC. Thereby while reading RFC6147 I stumbled 
across section 5.3.3 which says "All other RRs MUST be returned 
unchanged." which is the cause of my issues. This section is basically 
ignoring SPF records (RFC7208 section 5.6) and also preventing DNS64 
implementations from addressing this limitation themselves. After some 
discussion on the behave and spfbis mailing list I created this I-D. I 
was referred to this mailing list as both the behave as well as the 
spfbis WG are closed.

GitHub: 
https://github.com/agowa338/IETF-RFC-drafts/blob/main/draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension-03.xml

Sincerely,
Klaus Frank

Name:        draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension
Revision:    03
Title:        An Extension to DNS64 for Sender Policy Framework SPF 
Awareness
Document date:    2022-02-14
Group:        Individual Submission
Pages:        6
URL: https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension-03.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension/
Html: 
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension-03.html
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension
Diff: https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-frank-dns64-spf-extension-03

Abstract:
    This document describes interoperability issues and resolutions
    between DNS64 and SPF records for mail transfer agents.  This
    document also aims to simplify the IPv6 migration for mail transfer
    agent operators.

    This document updates [RFC6147] and [RFC7208].

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:05:07 +0000

Hi Klaus,

Well, the DNS expertise necessary to work on DNS64 is not present in TSVWG, sorry.  If a relatively simple update is sufficient, the INTAREA WG is a possible venue.

I'd suggest consulting the INTAREA WG chairs ([email-masked]) and/or the INT ADs ([email-masked]) on where to work on this draft - I've cc:'d both.

Thanks, --David (TSVWG co-chair)

-----Original Message-----
From: tsvwg <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Klaus Frank
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2022 4:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [tsvwg] I-D An Extension to DNS64 for Sender Policy Framework SPF Awareness

Hi,

GitHub: 

Sincerely,
Klaus Frank

Abstract:

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 19:41:52 -0800

Have you considered dnsops?

Sent using a machine that autocorrects in interesting ways...

> On Feb 14, 2022, at 2:54 PM, Black, David <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Klaus,
>