Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 08:40:29 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : A Non-Queue-Building Per-Hop Behavior (NQB PHB) for Differentiated Services
        Authors         : Greg White
                          Thomas Fossati
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb-09.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2022-02-11

Abstract:
   This document specifies properties and characteristics of a Non-
   Queue-Building Per-Hop Behavior (NQB PHB).  The purpose of this NQB
   PHB is to provide a separate queue that enables smooth, low-data-
   rate, application-limited traffic flows, which would ordinarily share
   a queue with bursty and capacity-seeking traffic, to avoid the
   latency, latency variation and loss caused by such traffic.  This PHB
   is implemented without prioritization and without rate policing,
   making it suitable for environments where the use of either these
   features may be restricted.  The NQB PHB has been developed primarily
   for use by access network segments, where queuing delays and queuing
   loss caused by Queue-Building protocols are manifested, but its use
   is not limited to such segments.  In particular, applications to
   cable broadband links, Wi-Fi links, and mobile network radio and core
   segments are discussed.  This document recommends a specific
   Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) to identify Non-Queue-
   Building flows.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb-09.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-nqb-09

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

---

From: Greg White <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 17:02:59 +0000

TSVWG,

I've uploaded a new version of the NQB draft with the following changes:

Updated recommendation and more informative text in the sender requirements section (4.1), motivated by:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/46k1oWi7xt_7OslKt8PIlAYjn8w
and earlier list discussions

More specific recommendation in 4.3 on NOT using the value 45 across interconnects, motivated by: 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/17wD7l73IXbH5OsUdYTam123pis/

Added section 5.3 guidance for very low rate links, as mentioned here:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/amP8Sq_c0pEbesJUW8NOk4x4sBs/

Updates in 8.3.1 on EDCA configuration:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/IUJJYhXHVGW1oqksj4UjiXT1gJk/
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tsvwg/4_U3LI7X5gt0ngl5DpeqUsBu7JM/ 

Best Regards,
Greg

On 2/11/22, 9:41 AM, "tsvwg on behalf of [email-masked]" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Abstract: