Subject: [tsvwg] Protocol Action: 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 10:36:29 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Zaheduzzaman Sarker and Martin Duke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc4960-bis/

Technical Summary

   This document obsoletes RFC 4960, if approved.  It describes the
   Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) and incorporates the
   specification of the chunk flags registry from RFC 6096 and the
   specification of the I bit of DATA chunks from RFC 7053.  Therefore,
   RFC 6096 and RFC 7053 are also obsoleted by this document, if
   approved.

Working Group Summary

There were no major disputes. SCTP is widely deployed, so the scope for major changes was limited.

Document Quality

The TSVWG working group has worked on this document since 2018, and SCTP contributors have reviewed the specification during that time. In particular, many SCTP implementers have provided detailed comments based on operational experience, that informed RFC8540 which details the core changes in the spec. The document has been relatively stable in the latest versions. All open issues from WGLC has been resolved. The shepherd believes that this document (rev 15) has the support of the TSVWG working group.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Gorry Fairhurst. The responsible AD is Martin Duke.

The SCTP Error Cause Codes registry has a Specification Required policy. The 
Designated Experts for it will be Randall Stewart and Michael Tuexen.

All other registries do not require a DE.