Subject: [Tzdist-bis] draft-murchison-tzdist-geolocate

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 10:55:35 -0400

All,

This document defines an extension to the Time Zone Data Distribution 
Service (RFC 7808) to allow a client to determine the correct time zone 
for a geographic point location using a 'geo' URI (RFC 5870).

This functionality was discussed while the TZDIST WG was active, but was 
ultimately left out of the core spec since it came along late in the 
process.  Its a fairly simple extension and I have a working 
implementation in the Cyrus IMAP/Calendars/Contacts/JMAP open source 
server.  My implementation uses the Time Zone Boundary Builder ESRI 
shape files as the boundary data.

The only open issue in my mind is whether we need to advertise the 
supported coordinate reference systems.  Currently, only "wgs84" is 
defined for RFC 5870.

-- 
Ken Murchison
Cyrus Development Team
FastMail US LLC