Subject: [Tzdist-bis] destination check

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 21:07:21 +0200

Hi everyone,

This is a destination check for the tzdist-bis mailing list.

For those who don't recall, tzdist is the timezone distribution service
which is found in RFCs 7808 and 7809.  Those documents specify means to
retrieve time zones on request, rather than them be part of a software
update (for instance), and a related extension to CalDAV to support time
zones

We are gathered to discuss two extensions to tzdist:

draft-murchison-tzdist-geolocate-01
The Time Zone Data Distribution Service (TZDIST) Geolocate Extension

The basic idea behind this draft is, given a geo: URI, please provide
provide an appropriate TZID.

And

draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif-00
The Time Zone Information Format (TZif)

This document is the one I've been waiting for a long time: it describes
the format that those darn tz files have been using, and it features as
co-authors Paul Eggert and Arthur David Olson.

In separate emails, I hope that Doug and Ken will kindly provide a bit
more context around the drafts.  We would like some community review of
this work, particularly if you worked on the earlier tzdist documents
(you know who you are).  Also, if you have ever cracked the tzfiles or
believe you will have need of cracking the tzfiles or at least what is
shipped on the wire based on this document, please have a look at the
drafts and comment.

[email-masked] is CC'd to this note.  Replies, however, should go to
[email-masked] (be sure to join).

Eliot