Subject: [Tzdist-bis] Adam Roach's No Objection on draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif-15: (with COMMENT)

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 22:24:21 -0700

Adam Roach has entered the following ballot position for
draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif-15: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-murchison-tzdist-tzif/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the work everyone did on this document.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§7:

I'm glad to see a privacy considerations section in this document. I do
think, however, that it overlooks a relatively major point. The reasons that a
client might choose to download a time zone other than the one it is currently
in will frequently pertain to upcoming locations that its users are going to
be in. While the specific time frame for such a visit won't be indicated, this
information is likely to be perceived by users as very privacy sensitive. I
believe this document should recommend that time zone retrieval be performed
over a confidential channel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

§3.2:

>  verrsion 2+ data block.

Nit: "version"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

General:

The format described by this document is rather complex in some ways. I think it
would be a great aid to implementors if the document included an example,
especially if it were annotated.