Subject: [Tzdist] time zone in ISO 8601 2000-12-19 and in tzdist WG charter

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 03:30:54 +0200

Searching the PDF I have for the string "time zone" brings only one
hit, and that is not in a definition of that term:

"The difference depends upon the time zone and may also be varied in
the course of a year."

There is also one occurrence of "time-zones", but no definition.

Then there is "zone designator", with four occurrences.

-----------
The zone designator is empty if use is made of local time of the day
in accordance with 5.3.1.1 through 5.3.1.3, it is the UTC designator
[Z] if use is made of UTC in accordance with 5.3.3 and it is the
difference-component if use is made of local time and the difference
with UTC in accordance with 5.3.4.2.
------------
5.3.4.2 is named "Local time and the difference with Coordinated Universal Time"

That means
- a UTC designator is a zone designator
- a difference-component is a zone designator

By eliminating "designator" in the first statement, one could come to
- [a] UTC is a zone

Combining this with the tzdist WG charter "A time zone is a region"
and assuming "zone" stands for "time zone" one can come to:

UTC is a region.

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com