Subject: [Tzdist] time zone name considerations

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:55:39 +0200

The IANA time zone database is not correct for all data after 1970,
most famous errors are Bouvet Islands and West Siberia.

To allow people to fix it privately, it had been proposed to offer a
private use area.
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2012-May/017972.html

No response by the maintainer of the IANA time zone database.

There could be services that offer IANA time zone database data and
data from other sources.

The time zone names for a given location
- might be equal,
- might differ in a prefix or
- might differ otherwise.

That means, to assume that America/New_York refers to a time zone
identifier of the IANA time zone database can lead to errors.

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 06:54:49 +0200

Tobias,

The issue you raise (overlapping or conflicting names) is already
covered in issue 9[1].

Eliot
https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/9