Subject: [Tzdist] Ticket #5

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:00:57 -0400

Hi,
I believe <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/5> relates 
solely to the publisher's choice of characters for time zone identifiers 
and has nothing to do with tzdist (beyond the need for tzdist to support 
arbitrary characters for time zone identifiers). I propose we close that 
tickets.

PS When reviewing that I did not that the current tzdist spec does not 
indicate how to encode time zone identifier names when used in the 
protocol. I believe we need to state clearly that time zone identifiers 
used in the protocol MUST always be encoded in utf-8 (when used in URL 
query parameters or JSON responses) or encoded in whatever character set is 
appropriate for the time zone data returned in an action=get. I will add 
text along those lines to the draft.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 17:24:14 +0200

Hi,

I am closing this issue. "_" can be used in domain names, we do not use
these domain names.

BR,
Daniel

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Tzdist mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tzdist
>

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58

---

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 16:43:05 -0700

Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> I believe we need to state clearly that time zone identifiers used in
> the protocol MUST always be encoded in utf-8 (when used in URL query
> parameters or JSON responses)

Yes, wording for that is proposed in point (C) in the August 27 comment 
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00281.html>, 
which has yet to be turned into ticket numbers.

> or encoded in whatever character set is
> appropriate for the time zone data returned in an action=get.

Will servers need to support anything other than UTF-8?  Perhaps this 
point should be made clear too.