Subject: [Tzdist] Ticket #16

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:29:35 -0400

Hi,
I have looked at <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/16> and 
like the text proposed by Paul. If there are no objections, I'd like to 
include that in the next draft update.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:31:29 -0400

On 08/26/2014 03:29 PM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi,
> I have looked at <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/16> 
> and like the text proposed by Paul. If there are no objections, I'd 
> like to include that in the next draft update.
>

Looks good to me.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Lester Caine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:55:50 +0100

>> like to include that in the next draft update.

Only thought that comes to mind is if it is necessary to tag changes
which do not actually affect the returned offset as substantive for the
process of providing a changedsince reply to an expand request? In this
instance it is ONLY a sequence of dates, any other changes can simply be
ignored!

AH - sees the light.
If the content of a get package has changed why would one NOT tag it as
the result of a changedsince enquiry? It almost suggests that one can
pick and choose which changes to respond to, which is certainly not
documented, so surely every change to the VTIMEZONE packet is therefore
relevant?

-- 
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/?page=contact
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

---

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 21:39:24 +0200

> include that in the next draft update.
Oppose.

In

'Other changes, such as changes to descriptions, may be treated as
"substantive" changes. '

the part

', such as changes to descriptions,' is bloating.

TZDIST users can decide themselves what is substantive or not. So, the
whole concept of "substantive" can be replaced by

Get data that has changed in field <field name>

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com

---

From: Lester Caine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:16:57 +0100

> Get data that has changed in field <field name>

There is nothing in the protocol that allows this to happen. ALL one can
do is 'get' all of the data fields the server is providing.

---

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:57:55 +0200

> do is 'get' all of the data fields the server is providing.
Then I propose to fix that deficiency. Then at least Service users can
predict the return output instead of having to rely on what a provider
deems "substantive".

Especially when some people regard IANA time zone database English
language zone abbreviation changes as substantive
( [email-masked] in http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/16 )

while such data change is irrelevant to those that don't use the IANA
time zone database English language zone abbreviation, but instead use
Internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations, which
allow outsourcing of localization.

http://anna.info/wiki/Internationalized_time_point_unique_time_zone_abbreviations

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:29:18 +0200

Tobias,

> predict the return output instead of having to rely on what a provider

What we are talking about here are machine readable entries, and not
entries that are given in a particular spoken language.  And so I don't
see a possible benefit to the user.  As to the reference you gave to
anna.info, should someone want to organize a database in that way, the
protocol should support retrieval by those keys.  You haven't called for
any changes along those lines.

Eliot

---

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 14:47:44 +0200

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Eliot Lear <[email-masked]> wrote:
> entries that are given in a particular spoken language.
Can you give substance to your claims?

>  And so I don't
> see a possible benefit to the user.
- by my proposal to fix, or
- by the current implementation, or
- by the proposal in trac?

>  As to the reference you gave to
I did, by asking for "Get data that has changed in field <field name>".

Database design is out of scope of the charter. So I suggested a
general way to restrict "changedsince"-output.

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com