Subject: Re: [Tzdist] Ticket #5

From: Lester Caine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:55:41 +0100

On 01/09/14 00:43, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Cyrus Daboo wrote:
>> I believe we need to state clearly that time zone identifiers used in
>> the protocol MUST always be encoded in utf-8 (when used in URL query
>> parameters or JSON responses)
> 
> Yes, wording for that is proposed in point (C) in the August 27 comment
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00281.html>,
> which has yet to be turned into ticket numbers.
> 
>> or encoded in whatever character set is
>> appropriate for the time zone data returned in an action=get.
> 
> Will servers need to support anything other than UTF-8?  Perhaps this
> point should be made clear too.

This may be the one area where 'Simple clocks' may be at a disadvantage.
It's actually the same debate as 'everything is 64bit these days' and
many embedded processors which have a network connection probably fall
into that bucket, but a substantial number of devices may not. I can't
see any reason that 'expand' can not be used with an ASCII 7 bit
encoding as long as there is a suitable alias for timezones with utf-8
names. I WOULD exclude any other coding, since single byte UTF-8 IS
ASCII 7 bit encoding. I'd not looked a t 'find' but that may be a way of
finding things without multibyte UTF-8.

-- 
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/?page=contact
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk