Subject: Re: [Tzdist] Ticket #5

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 15:17:26 -0400

Hi Paul,

--On August 31, 2014 at 4:43:05 PM -0700 Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>> I believe we need to state clearly that time zone identifiers used in
>> the protocol MUST always be encoded in utf-8 (when used in URL query
>> parameters or JSON responses)
>
> Yes, wording for that is proposed in point (C) in the August 27 comment
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00281.html>,
> which has yet to be turned into ticket numbers.
>
>> or encoded in whatever character set is
>> appropriate for the time zone data returned in an action=get.
>
> Will servers need to support anything other than UTF-8?  Perhaps this
> point should be made clear too.

My plan is to add text to Section 4.1 that states text query param values 
MUST be encoded in UTF-8 and that all responses MUST be encoded in UTF-8. 
Many IETF protocols these days just use UTF-8 everywhere and I see no 
reason for tzdist to be any different.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo