Subject: [Tzdist] Tool issues - date and time (including misinformation), readability

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 17:09:00 +0200

Dear IETF chair,

while contributing to TZDIST WG I reported issues with the tools.
There are other issues in that WG too, but this adds to the
difficulties.

I don't see any change yet to the issues that I reported, so I now contact you.

Inconsistent date formats, incomplete date-time information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I propose to turn all instances into ISO 8601 format and use UTC as default.

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/
Latest update: 24 Oct 2012 16:51 GMT
App Area: Pete Resnick, Barry Leiba | 2014-Aug-08
2014-08-26 (ISO 8601)

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/draft-ietf-tzdist-service/
2014-09-10 14:42 (ISO 8601)
Latest update: 10 Sep 2014 15:16 GMT

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tzdist-service-01
Expires: March 14, 2015
Expires March 14, 2015

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/report/1
two lines:
2014-
08-18

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/1
Opened 5 weeks ago

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/wiki/WikiStart?action=history
6 weeks (while the column is labeled "Date")

https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/timeline
2014-09-03:
10:24 Ticket #25 (draft-ietf-tzdist-service: authentication and
authorization of clients) closed by [email-masked]

But when under preferences I select UTC

2014-09-03:
17:24 Ticket #25 (draft-ietf-tzdist-service: authentication and
authorization of clients) closed by [email-masked]

The default is misinformation, there is one universal coordinated
time, but the default displays some other time. Please enforce UTC as
default and disable changes in preferences as long as no offset
indication is shown, because otherwise people may change something in
preferences, copy text from the page and then misrepresent content.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/maillist.html
Sep 22 2014

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00510.html
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 04:49:47 +0200

Readability
----------------
small text
https://tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/timeline
e.g. font-size 10px, 9px

low contrast
text in #bbb on white background.

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com