Subject: [Tzdist] draft-ietf-tzdist-service-01 - Glossary

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 05:23:41 +0200

1)
Time Zone:  A description of the historical and predicted timekeeping
      practices of a collection of clocks that are intended to agree;

A time zone is a description?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/description
"a statement, picture in words, or account that describes;
descriptiverepresentation."

Can an example of such a time zone that is a description be included?

2)
Time Zone Data:  Data that defines a single time zone, including an
      identifier, UTC offset values, DST rules, and other information
      such as time zone abbreviations;

So, the data defines the description?

Could one remove "single" without changing meaning?

If the data "defines" a time zone, any change in data would define a
new time zone?

3)
Time Zone Identifier:  A globally unique name which identifies time
      zone data, and which may include other information such as time
      zone abbreviations.

If it identifies "time zone data", shouldn't it be named "time zone
data identifier"?

If not, shouldn't it say "A globally unique name which identifies a time zone"

The identifier may include other information? That is clear, but why
state what it "may", one could also write it may be ten letters long,
or it may contain the letter "a".

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com

---

From: Lester Caine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:25:31 +0100

> Can an example of such a time zone that is a description be included?

Oxford English Dictionary ...
The action of describing; the result or product of this action.
a. The action of writing down; inscription

The only thing wrong with the statement is that it in my mind it is and
always will be describing the definition of a 'timezone'!

-- 
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/?page=contact
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

---

From: Tobias Conradi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 09:43:13 +0200

> a. The action of writing down; inscription

Could it be an action in the sentence in the glossary that has the
term preceded by the indefinite article "a"?

> always will be describing the definition of a 'timezone'!
So then, "the only thing wrong with the statement" may cease to exist
on the day your mind ceases to exist?

But until that point in time - why should the statement be wrong and
not what it does in your mind is wrong?

The statement in the glossary "is [...] describing the definition of a
'timezone'"? And that is wrong?

-- 
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18
10115 Berlin
Germany

http://tobiasconradi.com