Subject: [Tzdist] Brief Issue Summary

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:29:54 +0200

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Here is a summary of how my perception of the current issues. Comments in
the mail are my own and personal opinions. If you want to comment a
specific Issue, please do not comment by responding to the email, but
instead to the appropriated thread, that is the one related to the Issue.

In the last days, new issues have been raised. It is NOT too late to bring
issues. We will track all issues, and once all the open issues have been
fixed we will go to Working Group Last Call.

A lot of Issues, may be solved easily, with proposed text and could be
fixed by next week. Feel free to comment the text, propose new text and
briefly say whether you agree or disagree, so we can take some actions.
Some may be more difficult as they may impact the design of the protocol. I
am thinking of the URL design (Issue #29),  Historical snapshot (Issue
#32), and the JSON format representation (Issue #11). Feel free to comment
these issues.

Best Regards,
Daniel

Active tickets are available here
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/report/1>
Issue #1 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/1> LMT
Transition :
    comment: I believe it should be considered as a future extension.
Thread has been re-activate and waits for feed back.
    action: wait for feed backs on the mailing list before closing the
issue. Please provide your feed back by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00811.html>.

Issue #9 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/9> TZIDs overlap
:
    comment: v2 recommends the use of publisher~tzid in order to avoid
overlap. However, it states that TZID format is out of scope. This issue
have been closed maybe too fast. The thread has been re-activated to see if
we have consensus on both issues. New issues may be re-opened.
    action: wait for feed backs on the mailing list before closing or
re-opening the issue. Please provide your feed back by responding to this
mail <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00808.html>.

Issue #10 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/10> We should
truncate (entirely) :
    comment: v2 defines how truncation works. It seems the current text has
reached consensus. The text has been proposed on the mailing list
    action: wait for feed back on the mailing list before closing the issue
or proposing new text. Please provide your feed back and propose new text
by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00792.html>.

Issue #11 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/11> how to
represent the JSON format
    comment: v2 uses the draft-newton-json-content-rules format, which is
neither a WG draft nor a RFC. Several approaches have been proposed: 1)
ABNF, 2) draft-ietf-paws-protocol-18#section-6.1, 3)
draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-09, 4) RFC7071.
    action: clarify the position. Please provide your feed back by
responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00781.html>.

Issue #15 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/15> Truncation
of Future data
    comment: v2 addresses truncation of future data with TZUNTIL. Text of
the v2 has been send on the mailing list.
    action: wait for feed back on the mailing list before closing the issue
or proposing new text. Please comment and provide new text by responding to
this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00825.html>.

Issue #18 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/18> Removal of
Time Zone
    comment: Current of v2 text has been sent on the mailing list for
approval. Consensus has not been reached.
    action:  Please comment and provide new text by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00797.html>.

Issue #22 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/22> a short
notice change will affect current meeting time
    comment: This issue is about synchronization through ETAG and
changedsince. Unless the zone is removed, this works. An email has been
sent to see if v2 reaches consensus on this issue.
    action: wait for feed back on the mailing list before closing the issue
or proposing new text. Please provide your feed back to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00827.html>.

Issue #23 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/23>: Some of
the 'optional' parts of VTIMEZONE should perhaps be tagged as required for
the server situation
    comment: Not sure I have a clear view of the issue. It looks like a
synchronization issue. An email has been sent to receive feed back from the
WG.
    action:  for for feed back to check whether the issue is still open or
addressed by any other ticket. Please provide your feed back by responding
to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00821.html>.

Issue #29 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/29>: URL design
    comment: This addresses the design of the service. v2 has not addressed
this at all.
    action: no consensus has been yet found. It looks to me as a crucial
point to fix during the call conference.
    action: Please provide feed backs by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00791.html>.

Issue #30 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/30>: DHCP
option for tzdist servers available?
     comment: This is out of scope of the current draft. However, the
current draft should not be restrictive and include this option in the
future. Text have been proposed.
    action: Please provide feed backs and propose text by responding to
this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00819.html>.

Issue #33 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/33>:
substantive changes
    comment: The denomination of substantive seems too subjective, and this
term should be removed in the next version. The ticket #16 has been closed
by mistake.
    action: Please provide feed backs by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00813.html>.

Newly raised issues:

Issue #31 include leap seconds

Issue #32 managing historical data

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58