Subject: [Tzdist] [tzdist] #30 (service): DHCP option for tzdist servers available?

From: "tzdist issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:56:01 -0000

#30: DHCP option for tzdist servers available?

 The idea behind this is that just like with DNS or NTP services there is
 some "authoritative server", but noch each and every little embedded
 device needs to contact that server directly.

 Instead, internet providers or companies with a huge number of network
 nodes could set up one or two own tzdist servers polling the
 "authoritative server(s)" for updates, and providing tzdist services
 inside their companies or (in case of internet providers) for their
 customers.

 Similarly as a DHCP server today tells which DNS or NTP servers its client
 should use, it could tell which tzdist server is available for its
 clients.

 Martin

-- 
------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                        |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                         |  Milestone:
Component:  service                       |    Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document            |   Keywords:
------------------------------------------+------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/30>
tzdist <http://tools.ietf.org/tzdist/>

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 23:19:57 +0200

Dear Friends and Colleague,

I think that defining this option is out of scope of the current drafts.
However, the draft should leave some place for such an option.

If so I would consider some lines in the section 4.2 Client Guide Lines

"This document consider discovery of the tzdist server using the service
discovery mechanisms. Currently, this is the only mechanisms described.
However, some alternate future mechanisms may be such as the use of a
specific DHCP Option may be designed in the future and used instead".

BR,
Daniel

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM, tzdist issue tracker <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Tzdist mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tzdist
>

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58