Subject: Re: [Tzdist] Brief Issue Summary

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:24:06 +0100

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Here is an update about issues, that is closed issues since the last
conference call, issues that we expect will be addressed by
draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03, and issues that will be addressed next. We
have high expectations for draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03, and text will be
submitted for review once published. We are glad that the discussions have
converged efficiently to a consensus, and we thank you for your involvement
and cooperation.

Active tickets are available here
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/report/1>

BR

Daniel and Eliot

*I. Closed Issues*

These are the Issues we closed since last time.

Issue #1 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/1> LMT
Transition :
    comment: This issue has been opened in order to address historical
data. Historical data is being addressed by Issue #32, so Issue #1 has been
closed. If you have any comment please respond to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00899.html>.
    status: closed

Issue #9 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/9> TZIDs overlap
:
    comment: Specifying TZIDs would be out of scope of the draft and the
charter. However, this issue is expected to be solved by the URL design.
    status: closed

*II. Issues waiting for draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03*

These are the issues that have been discussed. They should be addressed by
draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03. Once this draft is published, we will ask if
the text has reached consensus within the WG. Comments are welcome, but I
believe text is also appreciated.

Issue #10 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/10> We should
truncate (entirely) :
    comment: Text from draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03 has been proposed on
the mailing list. Two comments have been raised (comment1
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00904.html>,
comment2 <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00909.html>).
If you have any additional comments regarding this issue, please provide
your feed backs by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00909.html>.

Issue #15 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/15> Truncation
of Future data
    comment: v2 addresses truncation of future data with TZUNTIL. Text of
the v2 has been send on the mailing list, and rewording proposed
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00825.html> and
corrected
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00910.html>. If you
have any additional comments regarding this issue, please provide your feed
backs by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00910.html>.

Issue #18 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/18> Removal of
Time Zone
    comment: Current of v2 text has been sent on the mailing list for
approval. Many comments, suggestions have been provided, and we expect
draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03 will close this issue. If you have any
additional comments regarding this issue, please provide your feed backs by
responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00869.html>.

Issue #30 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/30>: DHCP
option for tzdist servers available?
     comment: This is out of scope of the current draft. However, the
current draft should not be restrictive and include this option in the
future. Text have been proposed
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00819.html>. If you
have any additional comments regarding this issue, please provide your feed
backs by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00819.html>.

Issue #29 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/29>: URL design
    comment: This addresses the design of the service. v2 has not addressed
this at all. This point has been discussed during the conference call and
through the mailing list. We believe we are close to consensus.
draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03 will propose some text that will be reviewed.

Issue #33 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/33>:
substantive changes
    comment: The denomination of substantive seems too subjective, and this
term should be removed in draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03. The ticket #16 has
been closed by mistake.

Issue #22 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/22> a short
notice change will affect current meeting time
    comment: This issue is about synchronization through ETAG and
changedsince. Most likely draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03 will solve this
issue or at least clarify it with the URL design and historical data
related issues.

*III. Open Issues for draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03*

These issues will probably not be completely addressed by
draft-ietf-tzdist-service-03. One reason is that they may be correlated to
other issues. As such, they will be discussed according to how the other
issues are being addressed. Other reasons may also that they may be outside
of our WG.

Issue #11 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/11> how to
represent the JSON format
    comment: draft-newton-json-content-rules format, which is neither a WG
draft nor a RFC. We agree during the phone conference to wait and see if
the document can be used at the time of publication (see mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00837.html>)

Issue #23 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/23>: Some of
the 'optional' parts of VTIMEZONE should perhaps be tagged as required for
the server situation
    This issue is linked to data truncation (Issue # 15) and URL design
(Issue 29). This issue will be considered again when the later issues have
been solved. Feel free to provide your feed back by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00821.html>.

Issue #31 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/31> include
leap seconds
    This issue has not yet been much discussed on the mailing list. Please
feel free to provide feed backs by responding to this mail
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00796.html>.

Issue #32 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/32> managing
historical data
    This issue has been discussed through the mailing list. It is closely
related to the URL design. Next step are to consider how URL design makes
management of historical data possible, (possibly modify the URL design for
that purpose), and then see how to manage this data. At last the WG may
decide to add this to the draft of document it as an extension.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>
> Here is a summary of how my perception of the current issues. Comments in
> the mail are my own and personal opinions. If you want to comment a
> specific Issue, please do not comment by responding to the email, but
> instead to the appropriated thread, that is the one related to the Issue.
>
> In the last days, new issues have been raised. It is NOT too late to bring
> issues. We will track all issues, and once all the open issues have been
> fixed we will go to Working Group Last Call.
>
> A lot of Issues, may be solved easily, with proposed text and could be
> fixed by next week. Feel free to comment the text, propose new text and
> briefly say whether you agree or disagree, so we can take some actions.
> Some may be more difficult as they may impact the design of the protocol. I
> am thinking of the URL design (Issue #29),  Historical snapshot (Issue
> #32), and the JSON format representation (Issue #11). Feel free to comment
> these issues.
>
> Best Regards,
> Daniel
>
> Active tickets are available here
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/report/1>
> Issue #1 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/1> LMT
> Transition :
>     comment: I believe it should be considered as a future extension.
> Thread has been re-activate and waits for feed back.
>     action: wait for feed backs on the mailing list before closing the
> issue. Please provide your feed back by responding to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00811.html>.
>
> Issue #9 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/9> TZIDs
> overlap :
>     comment: v2 recommends the use of publisher~tzid in order to avoid
> overlap. However, it states that TZID format is out of scope. This issue
> have been closed maybe too fast. The thread has been re-activated to see if
> we have consensus on both issues. New issues may be re-opened.
>     action: wait for feed backs on the mailing list before closing or
> re-opening the issue. Please provide your feed back by responding to this
> mail <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00808.html>.
>
> Issue #10 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/10> We should
> truncate (entirely) :
>     comment: v2 defines how truncation works. It seems the current text
> has reached consensus. The text has been proposed on the mailing list
>     action: wait for feed back on the mailing list before closing the
> issue or proposing new text. Please provide your feed back and propose new
> text by responding to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00792.html>.
>
> Issue #11 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/11> how to
> represent the JSON format
>     comment: v2 uses the draft-newton-json-content-rules format, which is
> neither a WG draft nor a RFC. Several approaches have been proposed: 1)
> ABNF, 2) draft-ietf-paws-protocol-18#section-6.1, 3)
> draft-ietf-weirds-json-response-09, 4) RFC7071.
>     action: clarify the position. Please provide your feed back by
> responding to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00781.html>.
>
> Issue #15 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/15>
> Truncation of Future data
>     comment: v2 addresses truncation of future data with TZUNTIL. Text of
> the v2 has been send on the mailing list.
>     action: wait for feed back on the mailing list before closing the
> issue or proposing new text. Please comment and provide new text by
> responding to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00825.html>.
>
> Issue #18 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/18> Removal
> of Time Zone
>     comment: Current of v2 text has been sent on the mailing list for
> approval. Consensus has not been reached.
>     action:  Please comment and provide new text by responding to this
> mail <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00797.html>.
>
> Issue #22 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/22> a short
> notice change will affect current meeting time
>     comment: This issue is about synchronization through ETAG and
> changedsince. Unless the zone is removed, this works. An email has been
> sent to see if v2 reaches consensus on this issue.
>     action: wait for feed back on the mailing list before closing the
> issue or proposing new text. Please provide your feed back to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00827.html>.
>
> Issue #23 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/23>: Some of
> the 'optional' parts of VTIMEZONE should perhaps be tagged as required for
> the server situation
>     comment: Not sure I have a clear view of the issue. It looks like a
> synchronization issue. An email has been sent to receive feed back from the
> WG.
>     action:  for for feed back to check whether the issue is still open or
> addressed by any other ticket. Please provide your feed back by responding
> to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00821.html>.
>
> Issue #29 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/29>: URL
> design
>     comment: This addresses the design of the service. v2 has not
> addressed this at all.
>     action: no consensus has been yet found. It looks to me as a crucial
> point to fix during the call conference.
>     action: Please provide feed backs by responding to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00791.html>.
>
> Issue #30 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/30>: DHCP
> option for tzdist servers available?
>      comment: This is out of scope of the current draft. However, the
> current draft should not be restrictive and include this option in the
> future. Text have been proposed.
>     action: Please provide feed backs and propose text by responding to
> this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00819.html>.
>
> Issue #33 <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/tzdist/trac/ticket/33>:
> substantive changes
>     comment: The denomination of substantive seems too subjective, and
> this term should be removed in the next version. The ticket #16 has been
> closed by mistake.
>     action: Please provide feed backs by responding to this mail
> <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tzdist/current/msg00813.html>.
>
> Newly raised issues:
>
> Issue #31 include leap seconds
>
> Issue #32 managing historical data
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Daniel Migault
> Orange Labs -- Security
> +33 6 70 72 69 58
>

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58