Subject: [Tzdist] Representing JSON payloads in tzdist documents

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:47:33 -0500

Eliot and I talked today about the issue of representing a JSON
payload in your document.  It's an issue that's come up a number of
times in a number of working groups, and I think it needs to be
addressed with a general solution that can work for most of the needs.

There's some thought that the JSON working group can pick it up as a
work item, but that working group declined to take it on in their last
rechartering, and I'm not convinced that they will now.  Even if they
do, it's not clear that you want to wait for the result, because it'll
delay your documents by quite a few months, even assuming that they
move quickly.

Now, draft-newton-json-content-rules is a fine way to handle this, but
1. that document isn't on any working group's docket,
2. that document isn't appropriate for AD sponsorship, and
3. I won't approve having this working group work on that document
(not by itself, and not by inclusion) -- the right people are not here
for that.

What I suggest you do is use the mechanism that's used in RFC 7071,
Section 6.2, and in draft-ietf-weirds-bootstrap, Section 10.  It's
simple, and it's self-contained, so you aren't dependent upon any
other documents or working groups.  You could come up with some other
mechanism instead, but there's one that's been used and seems
acceptable.

Barry, Applications AD