Subject: [Tzdist] TZ data publisher registry?

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:41:18 -0500

All,

Now that we include the publisher in the list response, do we need to 
create a registry of publishers?  What is the official publisher token 
to be used for the IANA/Olson data?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:39:35 -0800

On 01/23/2015 10:41 AM, Ken Murchison wrote:
> What is the official publisher token to be used for the IANA/Olson data? 

I suggest the token "tz", since the most commonly-used name for it is 
the "tz database".

---

From: Lester Caine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 21:00:35 +0000

> I suggest the token "tz", since the most commonly-used name for it is

Except ... how does one flag if backzone is included or it's a truncated
view of the data?

-- 
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/?page=contact
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

---

From: Tim Parenti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 18:10:01 -0500

> Except ... how does one flag if backzone is included or it's a truncated

I think if we create a registry, we would need to implement namespacing in
some way.  So, if "tz" is used to refer to the IANA/Olson database, for
example, something like "tz-extended" could be used to refer to the data
including the backzone file, etc.

If we go that route, I think it only really makes sense for us to keep a
central registry at the top level; individual tzdist servers may wish to
slice and dice a given dataset in any way they please (various truncation
schemes being one such way) and should be allowed to file those subsets
under the corresponding top level publisher token.

--
Tim Parenti