Subject: Re: [Uri-review] DNS thru URI scheme implementation ??

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:58:52 +0200

"G.B.Reddy" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am going through the following draft and am interested in this way of accessing DNS resources through URI schemes.
>
> http://josefsson.org/draft-josefsson-dns-url.txt
>
> Could someone tell me which DNS servers implement the "dns:" URI scheme.

A DNS server is not required to implement anything extra to support
it, so in a way all DNS servers "implement" it.  The document only
describe a way to denote DNS resources, it does not describe a
protocol in which you contact a DNS server.  The normal RFC 1034/1035
protocol is used.  The URI scheme is mostly for use in higher level
abstractions in clients.

Perhaps what you want is an API at the client side that takes a URI
and return DNS data, but as far as I know no general-purpose library
exists.  I know of a few applications and special environments that
support it, but not in a way that simplifies client applications.

Now that I think of it, such a general purpose library would be quite
useful, considering the poor state of general purpose DNS libraries
around.  Let me see what I can do...

Regards,
Simon

_______________________________________________
Uri-review mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uri-review